D420! How about that?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, if you accept that the poppet comes as a single pre-assembled unit, then it's only 9 o-rings and yes, a decal.
I accept it will be expensive and wasteful...and The Grinch says, Plus this (item 18):
screenshot_20191214-110411_dropbox_1-jpg.555515.jpg

I wish I shared the enthusiasm you guys have for the new "Scrotum." While I am a fan of the center balanced poppet design, I've never taken a shine to the AIR I or it's descendants. I'm not sure why; perhaps it's the aesthetics.

Another reason for curbed enthusiasm IMHO is the parts count. Never mind the total parts count, but just look at the items to be replaced during a service visit. It's somewhere between 15 and 25! And (if it's OK to begin a sentence with and) we're not just talking about common items like o-rings and seats; there are sleeves, friction caps, stems, and the housing assembly (I guess that houses the hard seat) and God forbid, a decal! You and I don't need no stinking decals, but if it's part of the service kit the poor customer has to fork up for it.

I'm hoping I'm wrong here and your new toy will be all you want it to be-but I'll remain skeptical until a few of you have dived this new model for a couple of years and then serviced it.

Couv

Yes, I also didn't want to say anything, but I share your concerns. I actually like the looks of something different like the D series and I like the mechanism design.

I just don't like the pre- planned obsolescence with the need of unique replaceable parts. I realize that in our disposable society, most people are not concerned with preserving anything for more than a few years, but IMHO that is a bad philosophy. :(

IMO Shortly after Scubapro quits supporting this regulator, they will just become another interesting conversation piece. Eventually, I will have to add one to my collection of conversation pieces. :rolleyes:

I just don't like the pre- planned obsolescence with the need of unique replaceable parts.
I don't know...
This could end up being the Mk25 of second stages! :D

Hey, it's Christmas. A guy can hope, can't he?
:xmastree:

I don't know...
This could end up being the Mk25 of second stages! :D

Hey, it's Christmas. A guy can hope, can't he?
:xmastree:

For that to happen, dealers are going to have to buy and sell a lot of these. I just don’t see it happening. (SB represents the apex of zeal for this second stage). I think that if (when) SP decouples the Mk25, perhaps...

I think with Scubapro involved it may be slightly problematic to find rebuild kits for these. Love the look and what should be other world breathability, but I still think you would be hard pressed to find a better breather than some 30 year old well maintained regulators. But it`s the newest and best!!!

Well, I still have a few seats for my MK15s, but I guess it's time to look for a few more. It's really disappointing that SP stopped supporting this reg. In some ways it's my favorite. They last longer than MK10s or MK20s without creeping and handle HP tanks better than MK10s or Mk5s.

As far as the 'new' D series, I still have 5 D300s so I'm good. I would be pretty curious to see if this reg provides a real-world improvement. The center balanced valve is really terrific, and I find the D300 to be a very simple and enjoyable reg to work on.......except that horrible dive/predive switch o-ring.

But it`s the newest and best!!!
It's (one of) the oldest and the best! :D
Still, I have to laugh every time I watch the video, and they say "New Balanced Valve"!
Screenshot_20191216-093654_Chrome_1.jpg

All you naysayers have fun now, but since I'm still diving a somewhat supported D400, and Scubapro has resurrected center balanced technology with a case that's more technician-friendly than the scrotum, I'm still hoping for the best.
Hell, if I can get 35 years out of this one, like I have out of my D350, then I'll be...
104 years old, bwaahaha!
I'll go for the oldest diver Guinness record in my "old" D420. I fixed the excess hose length problem after a trial of a new Hollis first stage in GC, but I keep forgetting that the reg goes in my mouth! Maybe I won't make 104, after all. :(
20191216_095942.jpg
Hey, @halocline , no square oring!!

It's (one of) the oldest and the best! :D
Still, I have to laugh every time I watch the video, and they say "New Balanced Valve"!
View attachment 555754
All you naysayers have fun now, but since I'm still diving a somewhat supported D400, and Scubapro has resurrected center balanced technology with a case that's more technician-friendly than the scrotum, I'm still hoping for the best.
Hell, if I can get 35 years out of this one, like I have out of my D350, then I'll be...
104 years old, bwaahaha!
I'll go for the oldest diver Guinness record in my "old" D420. I fixed the excess hose length problem after a trial of a new Hollis first stage in GC, but I keep forgetting that the reg goes in my mouth! Maybe I won't make 104, after all. :(
View attachment 555758
Hey, @halocline , no square oring!!

you look like a na’vi diving on Pandora lol

Back
Top Bottom