D420! How about that?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just a guess on my part but tech training and the attention to detail/time required is likely the reason for SP to give up which in my opinion is directly related to the industry standard outdated business model. There is also some rumor about the C series being dropped, my opinion it would be for the same reason. The standard “common” in-line barrel type regulator like the s 600/620 and G series are common across all brands in basic style/construction, it takes very little time to cross train for most brands, the D series can be intimidating the TFX may meet the same issue but since Before Atomic there was no “Best” they may do better.

For me, coming off a d400, I was initially interested in the 420. But pretty soon I was turned off by:
Lack of concentric intake/ exhaust diaphragms.
Cost.
Cost of maintenance. Ease of maintenance not better than the d400.
This 106 page thread. Initial disappointments in performance, maintenance standards.
Overall lack of general interest in the d420. It seemed to appeal only to regulator nerds. (Apologies)

Anyways, I'm now kind of interest in the AA TFX. Turned off by:
Cost.
Cost.
Cost.
Slow rollout.

As a point of reference, things I don't like about the d400:
Funky dive/predive system.
Funky rubber case skin.

As someone who just bought the D420, I’m hoping the servicing won’t be a problem. Rob might find himself as the go-to for us in Scubaboard!
Happy to service it, any time!

It's a solid reg, no matter what small negatives it might have. They all have something we can b!tch about.

Happy to service it, any time!

It's a solid reg, no matter what small negatives it might have. They all have something we can b!tch about.
I’m sure it will be a huge upgrade compared to the rentals we’ve been using. I’m new enough to diving that I probably can’t tell the subtle differences others feel. Breaking it in at the end of the month and looking forward to it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom