Need 4 to go. Pompano Dive Center 4 wrecks on 1/10/2020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting thread. We take one diver if they are repeat customers. We lose money. In actuality we lose money for two and break even for three. Make a small bit at four. We take eight at a public trip. When you do the math, it’s not a get rich business. Would love to make more and pay the guys more but simply cannot afford to.

Interesting thread. We take one diver if they are repeat customers. We lose money. In actuality we lose money for two and break even for three. Make a small bit at four. We take eight at a public trip. When you do the math, it’s not a get rich business. Would love to make more and pay the guys more but simply cannot afford to.

Exactly. It's a passion that you hope you can afford to feed yourself with at the end of the day.

Sadly we are a dying breed. I guess the “smart” guys aligned themselves to groups that just cannot offer the same service. Those that had stellar reputations that are now aligned with groups are not the same but sadly will be the ones who stay in business. Prices in Cayman have not gone up for dives in years. Gas, work permits, insurance, TB&Ls, bank fees and everything else has. Most of the small guys have been eaten up but the new format is to keep the individual names but not service level. The few left are struggling but trying. Like anything it is what it is.

It's thread such as this that make me so happy to have my own boat. Worth every penny!

Hard to take the boat with you as either checked bags or carry on luggage.

Penny? Don't you mean worth every grand!! :wink:
I get dive when and where I want, maybe do a little fishing on some days or a day cruise to Miami or a weekend in Bimini or Freeport, Bahamas. I can't be late and never rushed. I get to decide who goes and who doesn't. So when it comes to value, the cost absolutely is pennies compared to being to being trapped on a cattle boat with the likes of some people and operators I read about here!

I get dive when and where I want, maybe do a little fishing on some days or a day cruise to Miami or a weekend in Bimini or Freeport, Bahamas. I can't be late and never rushed. I get to decide who goes and who doesn't. So when it comes to value, the cost absolutely is pennies compared to being to being trapped on a cattle boat with the likes of some people and operators I read about here!

My only point is it's LOTS and LOTS of pennies! Good for you though. But for the majority of us it's just not an option. What I pay for charters is a fraction of the cost of boat ownership. The "issues" raised on this thread pale in comparison to the time and cost involved with boat ownership.

Now back to the silly whining that triggered this thread.

I have my own boat, I live in the NE and dive off it regularly.

If I lived in Florida, and I just might move there in 5 years- I'd do the same.

Until then I'm stuck with crappy dive Op policies including "we'll take your money but no guarantees we will take you anywhere" and will deal with them in such a way as to mitigate risk of not diving.

Hopefully Pompano Dive Center will be able to deliver next week.

Current forecast for Pompano for 1/10 is 4.5-8.5' swells with waves 5-7'. Unless things change markedly for the better, the 4-to-go policy will be the least of your issues.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom