Disassembling doubles for hydro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, I missed that link somehow. Thank you @Scuba Cobra and @Sevenrider860

I guess this is it, although a description is kind of vague. I can't think what else it could be though, so it's probably it.
That is it.

BUT the OMS valves might not be worth adding these caps onto to make singles.

I am not going to go through the soft parts bit by bit but, the OMS HP seats and burst disks and crush washers are all crazy expensive. So parts to overhaul your valves - something that is customarily done roughly every 5 years at hydro time may exceed the price of a new DGX manifold. Which has far cheaper service parts. Might be cheaper and easier to start fresh.

OMS cap alone = $17
Brand new DGX valve = $39
Do the HP seats, crush washers and burst disk add up to >$22? Not positive but its going to be close.

I'm in a similar situation in that my LDS is very rec-oriented, there is no real tech diving community in town, and I'm probably the only doubles diver they deal with. But they're friendly, so what I do is explain the situation to them, disassemble the doubles, take the tanks to hydro, while they're at hydro I rebuild the valves and manifold. Then I take them to the dive shop where the charge me for a vis and fill ($20/tank), do the vis, put on the stickers, then I take them home and assemble, actually I've done it in the shop a few times, then they fill them that same day. Keep in mind that this scenario only happens every 5 years, but I still have to disassemble them annually for the vis. So it's the same process minus the trip to the hydro shop.

If your dive shop owner is really so bull headed that he won't vis tanks and then fill them later that day after you assemble them, find another shop.

lol.. good analogy. I've noticed a few things in dealing with this shop that at least gives me a hint of why they are the way they are. I suspect they don't like me much (no surprise there..) because they know I won't be taking any classes, won't be buying any of the limited gear they have in the shop...

Knowing nothing about the shop, I guess they are not considering potential referrals from you for classes, equipment, trips, etc:). Good luck!

I'm leaning towards selling the darn thing. Not just because it's seems to be a major hassle every year with viz, but also because the life happened between when I bought these tanks and now, and the amount of local diving I'll be doing going forward will likely be cut in half.

So if you are in New England and looking for a set of doubles with BP/W, get ready... I'd hoped to get them hydroed first, but at $15 per cap I'm willing to make it someone else's "opportunity".

Thank you for your help everyone!

I'm leaning towards selling the darn thing. Not just because it's seems to be a major hassle every year with viz, but also because the life happened between when I bought these tanks and now, and the amount of local diving I'll be doing going forward will likely be cut in half.

So if you are in New England and looking for a set of doubles with BP/W, get ready... I'd hoped to get them hydroed first, but at $15 per cap I'm willing to make it someone else's "opportunity".

Thank you for your help everyone!

I might be interested, what size tanks are they?

I might be interested, what size tanks are they?

They are 100cf Fabers, rated to 3442, painted, with convertible OMS valves. Also have OMS SS backplate, harness, and Ocean wing.

I'll put up pictures of the setup when I finally make up my mind.

Reactions: Tug
What a load of faff.

Assembly and disassembly ain’t that hard.

Back
Top Bottom