Will COZ close it’s borders?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That Dave Dillehay would willingly be the vector to potentially introduce the virus to the island while simultaneously claiming that he isn't scared of anything is not surprising to me in the very least.
I do not know the law in Cozumel. Someone doing this, travelling against an official ban, is a severe crime here in Italy. If he carries the virus, it is jail for 12 years!
It just happened to a pregnant girl here in Parma, Italy. She travelled south despite the ban, for giving birth to her son in her natal city (Bari), where her family is still living.
But she was infected, and caused the infection of personnel in the hospital, so she is now being prosecuted and risks 12 years in jail. Probably she will manage doing just 6...
Info here (in Italian): Coronavirus, da Parma a Bari per partorire alla Mater Dei: neo mamma accusata

Just made my reservation to return to Coz this coming Wednesday on United from Houston (IAH). Lots of empty seats. I want to see how Coz looked like back in 1989. I have both Mexican and US passports so I should be able to make it both ways….if I want to. I'll post what I see.

Dave Dillehay (yes I'm in my 70s but not afraid of anything but Bull Sharks)
Hi Dave
I have been closely following the CZM forum for the last 2 years and generally find it to be a great resource
At times I have been amazed at some of your posts
I just arrived home from 15 days on the island and can tell you the changes over those days have been lightning fast and many lives will be changed forever (financially)
I am tired of reading your many inappropriate comments and think you are WRONG FOR TRAVELLING for your personal amusement

Personally, I find Dave's perspective, and lack of conformity to forum group-think, peer pressure, and government/media-fueled hysteria, to be kind of refreshing. I've touched base with a couple old friends still living there, but some of them are deluded and placated by happy weed, New-Age "don't worry, be happy" memes, and are living on family money, so they aren't terribly alarmed (or just don't want to come to terms with the economic reality enveloping their idyllic, postcard lives,LOL). I'm looking forward to Dave's unvarnished report later this week.
Now, let the dog-pile ensue ! :cry: :stirpot: :yeahbaby:

Reactions: BRT
Hi @ChuckP

What's Cozumel looking like with most of the visitors gone, and the harbor closed?

Very best of luck to you

It's very quite, even back in town on 30 and 65. People for the most part are aware, banks, CFE, Mega and Chedraui - not a complete shutdown but getting pretty close. You can cross Melgar almost blindfolded.

We took the old road south all the way to Palancar on Saturday - stopped at all the trails off to the ocean and seen maybe one couple or family at each hideaway. Palancar had more employees almost than people. I'm not sure if five cars passed us between Caletta and Palancar. There wasn't many more than ten boats out diving from what we could see.

Went North to Passion Island on Sunday and about the same thing.

Ferries are running reduced schedules, four trips each company. Took the 8am to Playa, maybe 50-75 people, looked like most going to work, a few tourists with bags. There's more people in Playa but it's all closed up too. On the ferry back, two people selling snorkling trips in the terminal and one on the boat - harbor is closed - they must be using the ferry boats to Passion Island for snorkling or something. Maybe 50 people on that ride, looked very touristy, Mexican and European touristy.

Most are making an attempt here, I have my fingers crossed and gate locked for the next 2-3 weeks... With the economic hit the world took, this is gonna be tough recovery.

Hi Dave
I have been closely following the CZM forum for the last 2 years and generally find it to be a great resource
At times I have been amazed at some of your posts
I just arrived home from 15 days on the island and can tell you the changes over those days have been lightning fast and many lives will be changed forever (financially)
I am tired of reading your many inappropriate comments and think you are WRONG FOR TRAVELLING for your personal amusement

I am not traveling to Cozumel for amusement. I have to manage an orderly shut down of the Villa Aldora and make sure that my bank account can continue to pay our loyal employees, all of whom have been taking care of our guests for 17 years.

I pretty much resent your post as I am in a high risk group (age 74) and would certainly not travel for amusement.

I'm glad you have been around this forum for a few years…why don't you try to find any other poster who has thousands more likes-- than posts.

Dave Dillehay

PS I have been in Self Quarantine for 3 weeks so I will not bringing anything down but help.

Personally, I find Dave's perspective, and lack of conformity to forum group-think, peer pressure, and government/media-fueled hysteria, to be kind of refreshing. I've touched base with a couple old friends still living there, but some of them are deluded and placated by happy weed, New-Age "don't worry, be happy" memes, and are living on family money, so they aren't terribly alarmed (or just don't want to come to terms with the economic reality enveloping their idyllic, postcard lives,LOL). I'm looking forward to Dave's unvarnished report later this week.
Now, let the dog-pile ensue ! :cry: :stirpot: :yeahbaby:
  • Harris County is under a mandatory Stay at Home order
  • The Mexican border is closed for non-essential travel
  • US travel warning Level 4: Do Not Travel advisory "advises U.S. citizens to avoid all international travel due to the global impact of COVID-19."
  • Cozumel is nearly shut down and locals on all social media outlets are asking people to please not risk infecting the island by traveling there
But you think people choosing to ignore all that and traveling there anyway is "refreshing".

People like you and Dave are the reason governments get forced to move from mandatory Stay at Home orders to declaring martial law.

"We're old. We do what we want. Rules don't apply to us if we think it's just "government/media-fueled hysteria"

• Harris County is under a mandatory Stay at Home order
  • The Mexican border is closed for non-essential travel
  • US travel warning Level 4: Do Not Travel advisory "advises U.S. citizens to avoid all international travel due to the global impact of COVID-19."
  • Cozumel is nearly shut down and locals on all social media outlets are asking people to please not risk infecting the island by traveling there
But you think people choosing to ignore all that and traveling there anyway is "refreshing".

People like you and Dave are the reason governments get forced to move from mandatory Stay at Home orders to declaring martial law.

"We're old. We do what we want. Rules don't apply to us if we think it's just "government/media-fueled hysteria"
Apples and oranges. Dave isn't traveling to Cozumel for amusement. He isn't el jefe of Aldora Divers anymore but he does run the Villa and he lives on Cozumel most of the time.

Oh please, get over yourself :rofl3:. Millions of people across the USA, from regular citizens to elected officials, openly flaunt the rule of law, from marijuana laws, to illegal immigration and so-called sanctuary cities (to name just a couple). Do any of those get one of your sanctimonious speeches about doing whatever the government says because it's "the law"?
I'm not saying there's no concern and that we shouldn't take precautions, but I also think we're being led down the garden path here, that most of this heavy-handed,economy destroying response is going to end up real bad, with much farther reaching effects, just like 9/11 gave us the ironically titled, "Patriot Act", that completely nullified large chunks of our constitutional protections, all in the name of "keeping us safe".
Wake up.

There wasn't many more than ten boats out diving from what we could see.
I thought the port was closed indefinitely, no?

Back
Top Bottom