Volume of christolube for atomic reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saxman242

Contributor
Reaction score
I've been trying to find documentation somewhere of how much christolube ends up being used when environmentally sealing an atomic first stage. I assume a 2oz container is usually used, but I have seen a few posts suggesting only half or so ends up being used. The service documentation from atomic seems to provide the process but not the actual amount. Does anyone know the actual number?

Thanks

I have never measured it but the 2oz container screws into the cap and is more than enough to fill the chamber. That said a lot goes into the cap initially.

I should add that I'm looking at packing 2 regulators, so trying to find what I can get away with for 2.

just wondering do you need to pack it if you only dive warm water?

just wondering do you need to pack it if you only dive warm water?
You do if it's environmentally sealed. Otherwise you have to remove the sealed seal ring and install a vented seal ring.

But it does lots for you even if you only dive warm water. It keeps the mud out of the delicate workings of your first stage, it keeps the water (if it's packed right) out of the first stage, and keeps all of the shiny bits shiny instead of pitted and dull.

For the OP. If this is your first time packing the regulator, get 2 2 oz tubes of 111. The learning curve is steep and frustrating. Actually, my first 2 went well. It's the 10 or so after that that were a mess. Now, I have my wife do it, as she does it for a living.

You do if it's environmentally sealed. Otherwise you have to remove the sealed seal ring and install a vented seal ring.

But it does lots for you even if you only dive warm water. It keeps the mud out of the delicate workings of your first stage, it keeps the water (if it's packed right) out of the first stage, and keeps all of the shiny bits shiny instead of pitted and dull.

For the OP. If this is your first time packing the regulator, get 2 2 oz tubes of 111. The learning curve is steep and frustrating. Actually, my first 2 went well. It's the 10 or so after that that were a mess. Now, I have my wife do it, as she does it for a living.
Thanks I’ll attempt a packing after rebuilding makes sense to leave it in. One more question I have a 2 ounce bottle of lube 111, is it normal when you first squeeze it out of the tube it comes out clear then white?

Thanks I’ll attempt a packing after rebuilding makes sense to leave it in. One more question I have a 2 ounce bottle of lube 111, is it normal when you first squeeze it out of the tube it comes out clear then white?
I've never seen that, but it wouldn't worry me either.....

One more question I have a 2 ounce bottle of lube 111, is it normal when you first squeeze it out of the tube it comes out clear then white?

No it's not normal, it means the oil and solids have separated. This is a frequent complaint about Christolube; supposedly Tribolube is better at holding together. For your Christolube, you could try mixing it back together by squeezing the stuff in the tube around with the cap on. My guess is that your tube has been sitting around a while. It's probably not that big a deal for environment sealing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom