Red Sea (Egypt) closed (covid-19 confined)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is worrying at the moment is that we may be facing another two seasons of this - unless of course a vaccine is rolled out this fall. Absent a vaccine it may not be possible to get comprehensive travel insurance that does not exclude covid-19 as a known risk. We have already pulled the plug on a non-dive trip to Europe this coming September and fortunately are able to get full refunds for our travel points & associated taxes; accommodation and pre-paid excursions.

It would be beyond the purpose of this forum to discuss the whole thing in detail, including predictions for next winter and so on.

I just said what I did :)

I was supposed to be aboard the Tillis a month from now. They are letting me rebook, but want a date before the trip was supposed to leave. I'd much rather go sooner than later, but it is anyone's guess when this is over. The US has to let me out, Egypt needs to let me in, and airlines actually have to offer flights - if one piece is missing, there is no trip.

Should I be hopeful and book September? Should I be safe and book a year out? No guarantees a year out is safe either - things could get better and we could have a 2nd wave of this, and there is no guessing how government will react.

[QUOTE="bvbellomo, post: 9004534, member: 437907" Should I be safe and book a year out? [/QUOTE]
IMHO, international travel is a bust for 2020. There are simply too many variables, not the least of which is encountering travelers who may have health issues. While LOB boats are not cruise ships, they are confined spaces.

I have some personal experience with a bug that hit everyone on our boat a couple of years ago, and I would not want to risk a COVIV-19 situation.

I'm equally keen to dive, but have decided that patience is preferable to intubation.

IShould I be hopeful and book September? Should I be safe and book a year out? No guarantees a year out is safe either - things could get better and we could have a 2nd wave of this, and there is no guessing how government will react.

For what its worth, I'm booked on one the Emperor boats for October 2020 and won't be going. I sent them a note the other day to chat about options, haven't heard back yet. Too much uncertainty, especially with long-haul travel from the US, in my opinion.

[...] The US has to let me out, Egypt needs to let me in, and airlines actually have to offer flights [...]

And don't forget: Egypt has to let you out as well. I would not risk be taken into quarantine in Egypt.

Although Egypt is planning to re-open tourism in the next weeks (starting with locals, max 50% occupancy and hygiene regulations ) i would rather wait a few more months.
Taking winter season into account, that means not in 2020 anymore..

But it may be interesting to see what they say if you suggest to rebook for 2021 with an option to re-rebook back into 2020 (e.g. October) if situation permits.

[...] Too much uncertainty, especially with long-haul travel from the US, in my opinion.
That a very valid point. But don't you think the US will have restore travel/flight business until then?

Uncertainty is the problem. If I could be certain 2021 was going to be safe and Fall 2020 was unsafe, I'd reschedule for next year. But for all I know, Fall of 2020 might be safer.

The other variable - according to reliable open source reporting - is the likelihood there will be one or more additional waves of COVID-19 over the next year or so. These are likely to coincide with the seasonal flu which typically begins in the fall. And given the absence of a vaccine, and the up tick in cases/deaths throughout North America, it does not seem likely that the fall of 2020 will be safer.

That a very valid point. But don't you think the US will have restore travel/flight business until then?

By fall, yes I think there will be some return of trans-Atlantic flights. Although today you might have seen that the UK is expected to do their own 14-day quarantine of incoming passengers starting June 1 if the leaked news reports are accurate.

The question is what routes and at what pricing and just because the flight is "sold" doesn't mean it will actually depart. A vacation is meant to be relaxing and for me anyone, the uncertainty around the flights is anything but relaxing.

My preferred route was going to be DFW-LAX-IST-HRG since I wanted the long-haul in Turkish Airlines business class. Right now I can get that route for a decent mileage redemption, but if it doesn't fly I don't want to suddenly be accommodated on horrible routing or be placed on another Star Alliance member (like Egypt Air) that has inferior business class product. So I don't really want to book now potentially 'lock' my miles into Air Canada Aeroplan (which is how I'd get the ticket) and I don't want to wait too late and run the risk of high prices.

I was reading an article today that compared the US airline post-COVID pricing to post 9-11 pricing and they quoted the CEO of American Airlines as saying, that people flying right now "have to fly" so there is no sense in discounting prices.

Uncertainty is the problem. If I could be certain 2021 was going to be safe and Fall 2020 was unsafe, I'd reschedule for next year. But for all I know, Fall of 2020 might be safer.

Very good point. We are booked for August 12-23 but all the "ifs" are piling up and I'm considering postponing for a year when -IF- a vaccine is available for 8 billion people by then. Anyone else booked for August or later?

Back
Top Bottom