• Screen, color or not

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • Style, watch puck, console

Votes: 9 6.5%
  • Other, designate below

Votes: 43 31.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@scubadada I keep trying to complete your survey but just cannot select ONE primary factor. For me it is a blend. The algorithm, AI, color/sharpness of the screen, durability/reliability, user replaceable batteries, wrist mounted, customer service/support over time, multigas, bluetooth ... all those factors matter to me almost equally. Sorry! I tried but I just cannot pick one!

The one that DOESN'T matter to me is the compass. I have a digital compass on my Perdix AI and never us it. I'm a traditional compass guy. I wear one on my right forearm and us it in one way or another on every single dive.

EDIT - I went ahead and selected Other.

@scubadada I keep trying to complete your survey but just cannot select ONE primary factor. For me it is a blend. The algorithm, AI, color/sharpness of the screen, durability/reliability, user replaceable batteries, wrist mounted, customer service/support over time, multigas, bluetooth ... all those factors matter to me almost equally. Sorry! I tried but I just cannot pick one!

The one that DOESN'T matter to me is the compass. I have a digital compass on my Perdix AI and never us it. I'm a traditional compass guy. I wear one on my right forearm and us it in one way or another on every single dive.

EDIT - I went ahead and selected Other.
Hi Jim,

I realize this was not the perfect poll and that many of the factors are important in a computer choice. I was interested in the most important factors, I think that does come out in the poll. The "other" choice wins out, (ease of use, good/intuitive user interface, readable display, easily understandable, reliable, and good customer service). This is followed by decompression algorithm and then, price.

Until recently, I agreed entirely with your comments about a compass. I have been diving an analog compass since I got rid of my Oceanic Pro Plus 2 console in 2010. My primary computer, an Oceanic VT3 does not have a compass. I dived a Dive Rite Nitek Q backup for about 3 years. It has a pretty basic digital compass, I never used it. I have been diving a Teric backup for the last year. I do not use the full digital compass, but I have become quite fond of the floating north pointer on the home screen. I also use my compass, at least a little, on almost every dive. As this is mostly just to determine general direction of travel, I find myself taking a quick glance at the Teric rather than at my analog compass. I'm still carrying the analog compass, but may abandon it at some point, though I would probably feel naked.

Very best and good diving, Craig

For me, the most important feature is the size of the numbers on the display. My eyes are not what they used to be.

Most important thing: Does it look good on me so other divers would like to look this good.

:rofl3:
...and how how much dive boat cred does it have.

Giving a complex dive computer to an occasional diver is like giving an HP scientific calculator to a middle schooler.

I beg your pardon. I worked hard and saved my money all summer after the 7th grade to buy my HP 11C. 40-ish years later and I still have it... :D

I think it's really interesting to read the responses and see how many of them chose to interpret the question as "what is the most important factor for YOU" and how many chose to interpret the question as "what is the most important factor for other people".

Funny as this may sound at first, I contemplated the question and realized that the single most important factor, for ME, is not just does it have AI, but does it have PPS-compatible AI? If it does not have PPS-compatible AI, then I am looking no further.

Every single other factor listed in the poll is something that I would have a preference regarding, but I would have to actually consider specifics before it became a potential disqualifier.

Do I want Buhlmann w/Gradient Factors? Yes. But, would I consider something with DSAT? Yes, depending on how I was planning to use that computer.

Do I want a nice, color screen? Yes. But, I would consider a B&W LCD, depending on the price and how I was planning to use it.

Ditto for Bluetooth versus a cable.

Ditto for power source and even form factor. I have even considered buying a console type computer, just to mount on my reg set that I use for teaching OW - just for convenience. I guess I would have to say that in that case, I would consider an AI console that (obviously) does not work with a PPS transmitter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom