• Screen, color or not

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • Style, watch puck, console

Votes: 9 6.5%
  • Other, designate below

Votes: 43 31.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Giving a complex dive computer to an occasional diver is like giving an HP scientific calculator to a middle schooler. The setup for many of them is stuck in the mindset of setting up a digital wristwatch, which a lot of people no longer know how to do. As somebody mentioned before, most divers barely manage NDL time, proper mix choice, and safety stop timer, and have no practical experience with light deco. I did like a suggestion that I read on SB to have two computers on a dive, one set very conservatively so that it will put the diver "in deco" so they can work through the displays and alarms while following the other computer for "true" NDL.

#1: Reliability.
#2: Customer Service.
#3: User interface.

Everything else you listed is based on your personal needs and preferences. But if the computer doesn't work and you can't figure out how to use it, it's a paperweight.

single most important thing.
User interface

If you have to read the user manual every time you want to do something stupid like change the time or your nitrox mix, it's a bad design. I don't care if it has every bell and whistle in the world, if it is not intuitive to use, then it's a deal breaker

I would agree for the most part. Unless you are the kind of person who, back in the day, could program a VCR no problem without ever having to read the manual. :rofl3:

I'd have to go with size of readout and ease of reading. I like my Suunto Eon cause of the nice little graphic safety / deco stop countdown.

+1 on readability, give me the three basics, ET, depth, ND time remaining, in big bold numbers, everything else of in the margins or secondary pages

Price is my #1 consideration, or was my #1 consideration more accurately. I use a Suunto Gekko, primarily to meet the requirement for a computer when I dive with a group in the Caribbean. I don't do decomp dives any more, and rely primarily on my depth gauge, watch, and the tables, with a big safety margin. I look at the computer occasionally, just out of curiosity. Strictly old school. If I were younger and still doing decomp dives, or dives close to decomp, simplicity, readability, and a very conservative algorithm would be my considerations. I could never understand people who want to sail as close to the margin as possible, just to gain a few more minutes of bottom time. Foolishness.

other related to color though, can you read the screen at depth. Next is can you navigate the menus at depth with highest amount of thermal protection on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom