Dive computer help! Narrowed down to 3, sort of...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you need to choose between Teric and D5, winner is Teric. Also, if you buy 2 computers, buy the same model.
Or at least with the same algorithm, such as a Teric and Perdix.

Oh, that is so he can pick and I will return the other one. He may know right off the bat or he may want to think about it. I'm not sure that he will like the style of the Perdix. I keep checking Garmin to see if the MK2 is out but thing... He is into sports but he hasn't been a watch guy. But with the right watch, who knows?

Unless you need a watch to wear when NOT diving, I would get a larger wrist unit like the Perdix. I currently have the Teric, Petrel Ext (for rebreather), and Perdix. In the past I've had Suunto, Uwatec, and Cochran computers.

Now the Shearwaters are all very good units. My gripe with the Teric is that you always need to charge it before diving. It looses most of it charge just sitting around on the shelf for a couple of weeks. As a frequent local diver I find this to be a hassle. The other SWs can take batteries that will last for 50+ diving hours AND retain their charge on the shelf for months and months.

The Mk2 isn't coming out anytime soon.

If he doesn't wear a GPS watch now, I doubt he's going to want one unless he's thinking about taking up triathlons as a hobby. They are kind of a pain to set everything up if you want to use more than a small fraction of their features.

Re size... Just one data point, but I've worn puck-sized and watch sized computers on my wrist and much prefer the smaller ones. But I have bifocal prescription lenses in my mask so have no trouble reading the smaller text.

If going 2 computers, get two of the same brand so you can match programming.
Don't worry about Shearwater. It will be good. If you get a bum one, you will have no issues getting it fixed/replaced. Customer service is #1 with them and in this world where most places think customer service only means dealing with there distributors and not actual customers Shearwater has it right. Probably will never need it, but if you do it will be super easy. Like it should be.

If it has to be something besides Shearwater, well that is just a bad choice, but I would steer you toward a Garmin.

Unless you need a watch to wear when NOT diving, I would get a larger wrist unit like the Perdix. I currently have the Teric, Petrel Ext (for rebreather), and Perdix. In the past I've had Suunto, Uwatec, and Cochran computers.

Now the Shearwaters are all very good units. My gripe with the Teric is that you always need to charge it before diving. It looses most of it charge just sitting around on the shelf for a couple of weeks. As a frequent local diver I find this to be a hassle. The other SWs can take batteries that will last for 50+ diving hours AND retain their charge on the shelf for months and months.
You may want to check about having the battery replaced, mine drop about 2% per week or less. A dive about 4 to 8%

Back
Top Bottom