Opening Of Indonesia pushed to end of 2020?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tourist Hotspot Bali to Remain Closed to Foreigners All Year
By
Harry Suhartono
and Arys Aditya

August 24, 2020, 3:53 AM EDT Corrected August 24, 2020, 5:37 AM EDT
  • Authorities had initially planned to reopen from Sept. 11
  • Indonesia has more than 150,000 confirmed coronavirus cases
The Indonesian island of Bali will remain closed to foreign visitors for the rest of 2020 after authorities postponed a plan to welcome back international tourists from Sept. 11 as the coronavirus continues to spread.

“The Indonesian government couldn’t reopen its doors to foreign travelers until the end of 2020 as we remain a red zone,” Bali Governor Wayan Koster said in a statement. “The situation is not conducive to allowing foreign tourists to come to Indonesia, including to Bali.”

After some success in containment early on, Bali’s infection rate jumped in June as migrant workers returned home and testing increased. The island had 4,576 confirmed cases as of Monday and 52 deaths, while Indonesia as a whole has more than 155,000 confirmed cases and 6,759 deaths, government data show Bali has been open to local travelers since the end of July, and as many as 2,500 people have been arriving through its airport every day without causing a spike in infections, Koster said. The local government will focus on increasing the number of domestic visitors to help the tourism industry and economy recover, he said.

Over 6 million foreign tourists visited Bali last year, accounting for more than a third of Indonesia’s total. The government warned in April that the pandemic could wipe out more than $10 billion of Indonesia’s tourism revenue this year, a forecast that is likely to worsen now because it assumed there would be some recovery in the second half.

I have had an email from the agent through whom we have booked our RA LAB for November. RA has been designated a green zone and opened on Sunday to domestic tourists, as part of the region’s reopening plan. The government have not said whether the country will be open to international tourists one way or another. Our LAB operator is hopeful that our trip will go ahead, but it’s very much a wait and see situation as the regions start with the domestic visitors. Fingers crossed.

I have had an email from the agent through whom we have booked our RA LAB for November. RA has been designated a green zone and opened on Sunday to domestic tourists, as part of the region’s reopening plan. The government have not said whether the country will be open to international tourists one way or another. Our LAB operator is hopeful that our trip will go ahead, but it’s very much a wait and see situation as the regions start with the domestic visitors. Fingers crossed.

Glad to hear there's a little bit of hope there. Good luck

Raja Ampat Papua Zona Hijau Covid-19, Hanya Satu Aktivitas Wisata yang Diizinkan

"Baru aktivitas menyelam yang kami buka," kata dia.

Freeport Indonesia mine operations hit by protests over COVID-19 rules

In the Papua Barat region, the government may be under pressure to ease covid restrictions. Grasberg Mine (one of the biggest mines on Earth) has stopped operations for the 3rd day running, by protesting workers over extreme covid restrictions. With the price of gold & copper at record prices, the Indonesian government can't afford for the mine to be shutdown.

Stay positive people!

Thanks for the update
That is a short reply Dan. Maybe time to understand one of the most important things in life. We are ALL very often very wrong. Only, this time you got the prize.

Cheers for the update

What a shame. But not a suprise, as regional geopolitics were always going to be the deciding factor in opening borders in whatever part of the world

I hope anymore people don't die of starvation because of these extreme measures
I do not think that anybody who have been depending on tourism will starve in Indonesia. Times are very hard on them indeed. They have to give up there motorbike and sometimes even stop smoking. But people do not starve here.

Glad to hear there's a little bit of hope there. Good luck

Raja Ampat Papua Zona Hijau Covid-19, Hanya Satu Aktivitas Wisata yang Diizinkan

"Baru aktivitas menyelam yang kami buka," kata dia.

Freeport Indonesia mine operations hit by protests over COVID-19 rules

In the Papua Barat region, the government may be under pressure to ease covid restrictions. Grasberg Mine (one of the biggest mines on Earth) has stopped operations for the 3rd day running, by protesting workers over extreme covid restrictions. With the price of gold & copper at record prices, the Indonesian government can't afford for the mine to be shutdown.

Stay positive people!
Foreign workers in the mining industry have been given visa without interruption. If the Indonesian government would want to allow foreign tourist to enter in November they would had to announce the new visa regulations 1 month ago. Could it be that no resort or boat owner wants to be the one responsible for the cancelation of a trip? Many places opened already for domestic tourism. Bali already last month.

Very glad I changed my plans when I did. No Asia this year. Mexico looks great!
I understood that the Covid situation in Mexico is disastrous. Or is it very regional?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom