Health insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MMM

Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am a STRONG advocate of buying out-of-country emergency medical health coverage (because I have seen first hand what happens to people who don't and who suffer major health incidents while out-of-country). While I haven't looked into it, I expect that some insurers are either refusing to provide coverage for covid, especially if going to countries where there are high case/hospitalization rates. Has anyone coming to Cozumel got recent experience buying emergency health coverage?

Yes.
GeoBlue Voyager Choice. The parent company is Blue Cross.
Thankfully, I did not have to use it.

Yes.
GeoBlue Voyager Choice. The parent company is Blue Cross.
Thankfully, I did not have to use it.

This is the travel insurance I purchase all the time. It is very encompassing. WIth COVID in the picture, there is more information here which will provide clarity as to how COVID impacts the policies.

GeoBlue

Since you're likely asking as a Canadian & I don't know if US companies serve us I think this email I got last week may be a start on the questions to ask . I think the bold section will apply to all Canadian policies. .
AOL Mail (14) - Mozilla Firefox 8132020 60729 PM.jpg
AOL Mail (14) - Mozilla Firefox 8132020 60729 PM.jpg
AOL Mail (14) - Mozilla Firefox 8132020 60737 PM.jpg

Reactions: BRT
I have to say I agree with that thought. Also like you I know how quickly medical expenses can add up when in a foreign country which most likely means we're staying home this coming winter. That's a very rare thing for me to do & is almost always due to a serious medical issue to me, my wife or direct family member.

Reactions: BRT
I always bought FrontierMedex which is now part of United Healthcare. We have been buying a year long travel plan and buying single trip coverage for anyone going with us. When I checked them the other day, they don't offer anything online. You have to call them.

World - Nomad says it will cover COVID.
Still researching but looking good for us.
I recently purchased trip insurance thru World Nomad & based on info at their website understood that Covid related issues during the trip would be covered. However, after purchasing the insurance my confirmation email included the following:
“Thanks for choosing travel insurance from World Nomads There is NO COVER available for travel to any country or part of it with a coronavirus (COVID-19) travel ban, and any events that arise when you travel against any government bans or warnings. Before you leave, check your travel details below and your local government travel warnings and make sure you understand the impact coronavirus (COVID-19) has on your policy. Please also review your policy wording and applicable travel alerts.” Since US State Dept still has a Level 4 Do Not Travel to Mexico due to Covid-19 advisory in effect I’m not certain that Covid would have actually been covered. Glad I didn’t need the coverage during my trip. Just FYI.....

Thanks for that info. You'd think the insurers would properly update their web pages to reflect these policy changes. My wife who is a retired Canadian Gov't Civil Servant has a group policy which we travel under & have for a few years. Once the Canadian Gov't declared the state of Emergency that entire policy became useless 2 weeks later. Not just for Covid related stuff but any health issue if we understood the email we received correctly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom