Divers Insurance...Yay or Nay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe the diving insurance begins with a 50 mile limit from your place of residence? I’d have to check. All my local diving is more than 50 miles from home.

That's DAN TravelAssist. That does not apply to dive accident insurance.

Now that I am getting certified and my fiance is AOW, I have seen the insurance advertisements for DAN. Is this a good investment or no?
Please & thanks!

Yes.

I got bent in 2001 - the bill was over $35,000.00 --- The insurance paid it all. The bill for that same series of treatments now is likely $50,000.00...maybe more.

Now that I am getting certified and my fiance is AOW, I have seen the insurance advertisements for DAN. Is this a good investment or no?
Please & thanks!
It is not an investment; it is a necessity. Either it helps you, or it helps another diver, all at low cost.
Note the home locations of those who think it is perhaps not necessary....NONE of them are in the US.
The US has a different medical system and insurance system than other places; DAN helps us fill that gap.

I recently finished OWC. Funny, during the training I saw the leaflet for DAN and thought that’s a great idea. I should get a policy after I finish the course before I go to Cabo. Then as life does, every day drudgery takes priority and the policy never got picked up. It was only until I saw this thread that I was reminded to pick it up and so I did. Thanks for the reminder

My professional liability insurance is also with DAN and I find it nice that I can sign my open water students up for insurance for free while they are going through training. It is at a lot less coverage than the normal policy and I know DAN uses that contact information to try to get them to get a full policy after their training, but I see it as a win all the way around.

I am lucky to have top notch medical insurance coverage, but still have DAN's dive insurance. DAN gives me a whole lot of bang for not many bucks, and allows me to dive worry free as far as dive medical bills are concerned. Of course, if you never use it, you have unnecessary insurance. However, without DAN or comparable, one dive accident could be catastrophic to your long term economic security and stability. Whatever insurance you decide is best for you, make absolutely sure you read and understand every sentence of the insurance policy. Don't assume anything. Your best interest is not necessarily compatible with the insurance company's interests.

I believe the diving insurance begins with a 50 mile limit from your place of residence? I’d have to check. All my local diving is more than 50 miles from home.

Evacuation coverage as part of TravelAssist is limited to 50+ miles from home.
  1. DAN Membership includes automatic enrollment in DAN TravelAssist and up to $100,000 of evacuation assistance coverage. This benefit is effective for both diving and non- diving injuries. Your evacuation coverage begins when you travel at least 50 miles/80 km from home and call DAN TravelAssist to arrange your evacuation.
Also, if you have the Non Diving Accident insurance in your plan, it's limited to 50+ miles away and outside your home country.

Nondiving Accident Medical Insurance

(Available only with the Preferred Plan)

If an Insured Person incurs charges for treatment of Injury due to a non-diving Accident that occurs outside his or her Home Country, and is at least 50 miles / 80 km from the primary residence, United States Life will pay the benefits described below subject to the terms and limitations.​

But the dive accident insurance covers you regardless of where you are.

Although I've never needed it in 58 years of diving, I wouldn't dive without it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom