Apeks XTX50 bubble deflector - Yay or Nay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vemura

Contributor
Reaction score
Apeks bubble deflector for the regulator - yay or nay?

I've been eyeing the sidemount set and will probably get it, but I am trying to decide whether to add the bubble deflector per reg. The wider one is supposed to really keep bubbles away from your mask view, good for photography. Then again, bubbles float.

Anyone who's used it, any experiences or feedback?

Yay

Bubbles do float, and they do float away. You are already neutrally buoyant and exhaling only makes you slightly negative for a second or two. The wider bubble deflectors do not really trap any significant amount of air (or any?). I have been using them for 10 years and I haven't felt any effect. They are great.

I am a sidemount diver. I have done that since 2011. There are countless ways to route the hoses, and there is not that one correct way. The Apeks set has both regs on the right while other configs might have one on each side. And there's more. And it's easy to reconfigure the hoses - as long as you have regs than can be 'mirrored' like the Apeks XTX50.

Yay

Bubbles do float, and they do float away. You are already neutrally buoyant and exhaling only makes you slightly negative for a second or two. The wider bubble deflectors do not really trap any significant amount of air (or any?). I have been using them for 10 years and I haven't felt any effect. They are great.

I am a sidemount diver. I have done that since 2011. There are countless ways to route the hoses, and there is not that one correct way. The Apeks set has both regs on the right while other configs might have one on each side. And there's more. And it's easy to reconfigure the hoses - as long as you have regs than can be 'mirrored' like the Apeks XTX50.
Yup, I'll be using XTX50s.

Do the regs themselves come without the small and big bubble deflectors? I actually thought the small deflector was built-in but it seems to be an add-on.

You can use either. Just push the button and slide one off and the other on. I have the large deflector on one reg and the small on another. I prefer the large.

Yup, I'll be using XTX50s.

Do the regs themselves come without the small and big bubble deflectors? I actually thought the small deflector was built-in but it seems to be an add-on.
Mine came with both but that was ages ago. There's a small round button that you press and pull the deflectors apart. Then you can push in the bigger ones.

The wide version is one of, if not the widest, perhaps the AL Legend is the same. It works a treat. I used to use wide on primary and narrow on backup. Usually you get both but not always. Yes, I like them very much, almost enough to forgive the twisty barrel, almost...

Has Apeks solved the twisty barrel problem in newer regs?
Nope, well not on the MTX range anyway. I guess they don't see it as an issue despite alerting to it in the service manual. It's not really an issue with a modicum of care but still, Scuba-pro nailed it. It irks me nonetheless. YMMV.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom