A beginner seeking advice...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Second, for a new diver like me, everything (a fresh opinion, or a bit of information unknown to me) is valuable and helps me acquire a better understanding of our common hobby.
Be careful though: Too much info and you can get overwhelmed easily :)
Ask which side of your bed you should be using every morning and you will easily get few pages of contradicting suggestions (and a fight for who is right) here in SB. That's how beautiful it is...

Thanks! Indeed, I live by the sea. And I hope fervently that someday, I will be able to dive 8 times a weekend..:)

I'd love to come and dive there, I can almost swim to you from where I am now in Libya :)

Don't forget to stop over in Chania/Crete for a rest. I think our south coast is closer to Libya than Athens - or so I was told.

I am game for that, we can swim to visit all islands :)

In my experience, divers fresh of OW usually dive with a dive centre or with more experienced divers; not necessarily DM/instructors, but they will unlikely go only with people of their same experience. Therefore, when they will plan and conduct a dive (yes, they do it!), they are surrounded by more experienced people who can help them and correct their mistakes.

I know this only my experience, and it can be false in some (or even many) parts of the world. The reason why I felt confident in making this generalization is that the OP clearly said he wants to dive with his instructor:
[/QUOTE]

Thank you. I am aware that I still need "babysitting" in order to become a mature diver, safe for me and for my buddies. I dare say that every diver on my level should feel the same. As an adult, I must acknowledge when I don 't know something, especially in a potentially dangerous activity, like scuba diving...

Hi Antonie,

I am not as experienced as everyone in here, but i can tell you what i did as a new diver (last year).
Unlike the suggestions and what most people do i got a DC before starting any of my classes. I got a Suunto Vyper Novo 2 weeks before flying to Greece for my OW and AOW.
My thought was that during the courses i will also get used to my DC and feel comfortable using it after the classes alone. Luckily my instructor had exactly the same so i didn't even read the manual (that's bad, you should read it).

No matter what you buy as your first DC (except if it is a Shearwater), at some point if you keep diving you will want to upgrade it. So just go for a fairly cheap one (remember that usually you get the quality you pay for, don't go for the cheapest IMO), get used to it, dive with it for a few years and if you like the sport then go for the best and never buy one again (unless it is broken).

I just upgraded my DC with AI, but i am really missing the bluetooth functionality. I won't go for a new one as during covid times i bought all of my equipment + a drysuit so now i will eat pasta and rice for the rest of the year :p

As someone told you before me, you got a lot of options but in the end it is up to you. I find it super necessary to have your own DC and be familiar with it. Also, get to dive more! I am diving 1-3 times a week here in Denmark with 15 degrees and the depth is usually 5m with no sea life almost. I am sure your place is much better, even if you don't appreciate it as you always had it. Go and dive every shore with a buddy and even if it is shallow get the chance to exercise some skills, do some weight check, dsmb or just enjoy the viz and the sea life. Note that if you manage your boyancy in this depth, when you go deeper it will feel so much easier!

Welcome to the sport and feel free next summer to join me in Volos :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom