Books to consider about scuba diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello to everyone! As a newbie diver (30 dives, AOW) I seek ways to improve my skills and knowledge. I have considered taking GUE Fundamentals, but for a variety of reasons this option is not available to me right now. What are your opinions / advice about one or two books on scuba diving? I think about "The Fundamentals of Better Diving" (2021 edition). Is it a sound choise, or a bit irrelevant, considering the type of my diving (just warm blue-water diving in SW Greece, 15-20 dives max per summer, no GUE community or buddies in my area)? Thanks in advance for your help and advice!

As a casual recreational diver, these may not be exactly what you're after, but will expand your knowledge about diving. Excellent books, both written by Mark Powell:

An Introduction to Technical Diving

Deco for Divers

This one shows you real stuff to do in the water, somersaults, backwards, upsidedown etc

Real diving for real divers diving divers

No stiff diving here

Get your watermanship happening man

Magnificent!

As a casual recreational diver, these may not be exactly what you're after, but will expand your knowledge about diving. Excellent books, both written by Mark Powell:

An Introduction to Technical Diving

Deco for Divers
Thank you. I have already considered buying Mark Powell's books, because technical diving is my dream and (distant) target. Aren't they a bit "overkill" for my current level?

I am listening to Under Pressure by Gareth Lock on Audible. It’s been an eye opener about why setting up procedures, practicing skills, briefings, de-briefings and creating an environment of open communication is vital to a diver.

He has many stories from divers, even both the student and instructor side of the same experience to help get a better picture of what went down. Still have a few hours left, but so far, it’s been helpful for a newbie such as myself.

Here's a page out of my book

Learn your gear where it all is only by feel, so when donning seated on the heaving boat
you can look to the horizon converse with other divers and not feel like heaving yourself

Thank you. I have already considered buying Mark Powell's books, because technical diving is my dream and (distant) target. Aren't they a bit "overkill" for my current level?
Not necessarily. If you have an interest in physics, Deco for Divers is a good read whether or not you're a diver.

With regards to Introduction to Technical Diving, I'd say this was aimed squarely at the Tech curious as well as purely recreational divers seeking further knowledge.

There is NOTHING wrong with reading beyond your current level, absolutely nothing. And if someone implies that, they’re an idiot.🙄🤦‍♀️

PADI Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving - I really enjoyed this book, especially the section on Marine biology. Used prices on ebay as low as $5 (but also as high as $160 ....)

Books on marine life for wherever you dive. I've got a collection of these I refer to often.

And I second the advice on Mark Powell's books.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom