Books to consider about scuba diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On a different tack, i would seek out some good field ID books for the areas where you will be diving and learn the local flora and fauna. It find diving more rewarding when i know what i am looking at.

Just FYI you can find a PDF/epub copy of Deco for divers with a simple google search. It's a great read and even just the historical perspective of how decompression theory came about answered many questions for me.

Diver Down: Real-World SCUBA Accidents and How to Avoid Them
by Michael Ange was a good read.

Knowledge / Skills/ / Theory:

Deco For Divers By Mark Powell

Technical Diving: An Introduction By Mark Powell

Deep Into Deco by Asser Salama

Six Skills and other Discussion by Steve Lewis

Staying Alive Applying Risk Management to Advanced Scuba Diving by Steve Lewis

Under Pressure by Gareth Lock

NOAA Diving Manual

Mariner's Handbook by Steve and Linda Dashew

Dive History / Stories / Easy Reading:

Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson

Pirate Hunters by Robert Kurson

Last Dive by Bernies Chowdhury

Deep Descent by Kevin F. McMurray

Taming of the Slough by Sheck Exley

Caverns Measureless to Man by Sheck Exley

Scuba America by Zale Parry and Albert Tillman

Does This Island Go All The Way To The Bottom by Eric Pasley

Lost Wife, Saw Barracuda by John Kean

Into The Planet by Jill Heinerth

Where Diver’s Dare by Randall Peffer

Southern California Identification Books (obviously only relevant for divers in the area):

Certainly More Than You Want to Know About the Fishes of the Pacific Coast by Milton Love

Beneath Pacific Tides: Subtidal Invertebrates of the West Coast by Gregory C. Jensen

Seaweeds of the Pacific Coast: Common Marine Algae from Alaska to Baja California by Jennifer Mondragon

Marine Life of the Pacific Northwest: A Photographic Encyclopedia of Invertebrates, Seaweeds And Selected Fishes by Andy Lamb

Pacific Coast Pelagic Invertebrates: A Guide to the Common Gelatinous Animals by David Wrobel

Coastal Fish Identification: California to Alaska by Paul Humann

Crabs and Shrimps of the Pacific Coast: A Guide to Shallow-Water Decapods from Southeastern Alaska to the Mexican Border by Gregory Jensen

Eastern Pacific Nudibranchs: A Guide to the Opisthobranchs from Alaska to Central America by David Behrens

Between Pacific Tides by Edward Ricketts

The Light and Smith Manual: Intertidal Invertebrates from Central California to Oregon by James T. Carlton

Edit: Just realized on some of the more technical books there may be additional authors, and I only listed the first author. No offense or anything intended, just lazy and don't want to reopen everything and grab all the other author names, should be good enough though to search/find it

Back
Top Bottom