Books to consider about scuba diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello to everyone! As a newbie diver (30 dives, AOW) I seek ways to improve my skills and knowledge. I have considered taking GUE Fundamentals, but for a variety of reasons this option is not available to me right now. What are your opinions / advice about one or two books on scuba diving? I think about "The Fundamentals of Better Diving" (2021 edition). Is it a sound choise, or a bit irrelevant, considering the type of my diving (just warm blue-water diving in SW Greece, 15-20 dives max per summer, no GUE community or buddies in my area)? Thanks in advance for your help and advice!
Add "Deep Diving" by Better Gilliam. Good history section, tips, checklists, etc.

While not directly associated with diving, I would also include Euell Gibbons' 1964 Stalking the Blue-Eyed Scallop.

From a previous thread --

"Gibbons, for those who don't recall, was a famous forager and naturalist, who arrived in California, during the time of the Dust Bowl; and the poor sod had to subsist upon scallops, limpets, spiny lobster, rock and Dungeness crab, abalone, and urchin -- being unable, according to one interview, to even afford grade-z hamburger meat, at the time . . ."

So too, The Essentials of Deeper Sport Diving by John Lippmann (1992), a longtime standard text, which deals with virtually all aspects of scuba, from the physiology of gas exchange; mitigating the risks of contracting DCS; nitrogen narcosis; crazy eye; bone necrosis; diving at altitude; and all manner of expected and unexpected emergency situations . . .

I am listening to Under Pressure by Gareth Lock on Audible. It’s been an eye opener about why setting up procedures, practicing skills, briefings, de-briefings and creating an environment of open communication is vital to a diver.

He has many stories from divers, even both the student and instructor side of the same experience to help get a better picture of what went down. Still have a few hours left, but so far, it’s been helpful for a newbie such as myself.

Under Pressure by Gareth Lock is indeed a fantastic book, however I wouldn't suggest purchasing it on Audible as the author often will refer to the website links, charts/graphs, and back and forth to the book chapters.
I've listened to it, and now I'll purchase the book in print.

Speaking of diving audio books, any suggestions from the SB members there?

First and foremost: A big thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread.
Update: During these long, cold months I finally purchased and read two books: Mark Powells' 'Deco for Divers' and Steve Lewis' "Staying Alive".
A newbie's impression? Both very interesting books. 'Deco for Divers' is a synopsis of our current understanding about decompression mechanisms and the application of this knowledge to diving practice. Although well-written and oriented to laymen, sometimes one feels a bit overwhelmed by the condensed information. Nevertheless, it provides a clear look of this ever-evolving domain of knowledge to everyone.
"Staying Alive", on the other hand, is a practical guide for applying sound principles in your diving. The chapter about dive and gas planning is truly valuable. The parts about sidemount and technical equipment choices are a bit irrelevant to someone like me, but I hope that someday I will have the skills and background required to evaluate this chapter too. Althought it sounds a bit flattering to this forum, I dare say that many things I read in the book, I had first learned of because of SB...
:D

Under Pressure by Gareth Lock is indeed a fantastic book, however I wouldn't suggest purchasing it on Audible as the author often will refer to the website links, charts/graphs, and back and forth to the book chapters.
I've listened to it, and now I'll purchase the book in print.

Speaking of diving audio books, any suggestions from the SB members there?
There’s not a ton of them. More diving adventure stuff, along the lines of Shadow Divers. There’s tons of podcasts. Suggest you investigate those if print isn’t your thing.

There’s not a ton of them. More diving adventure stuff, along the lines of Shadow Divers. There’s tons of podcasts. Suggest you investigate those if print isn’t your thing.
Hey Marie13,
Thanks.

Don’t get me wrong, print is deffo my thing, I just like listening audiobooks while in the car commuting to and back from work 3+ hrs daily total.

Back
Top Bottom