Can I test my spg without attaching it to a tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moby Dickins

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Sort of a weird question. But I assembled by own rig and everything seems well put together, the only things I'm not sure about is the spg. I'd hate to get to the water only to find it doesn't work.

It is possible. But if you are asking the question you don't have the equipment to do so. Hooking it up to a tank is the easiest way.
Swing by your local dive shop. Anyone will let you put it on a tank for a test run.

That's what I'll do.

Thanks, everyone.

Sort of a weird question. But I assembled by own rig and everything seems well put together, the only things I'm not sure about is the spg. I'd hate to get to the water only to find it doesn't work.

What exactly are you not sure about?

-Z

What exactly are you not sure about?

-Z

Just that I've never set up a regulator and attachments before. Putting the spg together just seemed a little too simple, I just popped it on and tightened it.

Just that I've never set up a regulator and attachments before. Putting the spg together just seemed a little too simple, I just popped it on and tightened it.
That is pretty much how it is done, very simple to do and pretty hard to get it wrong imo.

Other than what you describe, you just need to ensure you have a hi-pressure spool between the hose and the SPG.

Here is a picture of the 3 common types for reference:

upload_2020-10-30_17-31-37.jpeg

-Z

to any new divers reading this. pls make sure you know what you are doing. otherwise have a qualified tech work on your gear.
that said, if you do decide to make any changes to your gear yourself pls make sure you always test it properly before use.
myself personally i always do a pool session to test everything. even if a tech does the work.
i have had regs come back with loose hoses, poorly adjusted second stages, and even a loose first stage nut. we found that mistake while gearing up to do a cavern dive. not the place you wanna find out you have a catastrophic gas leak.
many things are easy to do. but what is easy for one person, may not be for another. and some things "seem" simple but in fact there is more to it than you realize.

Back
Top Bottom