Should I wear a snorkel or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

None required. I'm good. But thanks for the offer to share your vast knowledge with lowly me. Much appreciated.

You are most welcome, any time!!

Why are you bent out of shape over it? This is the internet and it is SB, free exchange of opinions and ideas.

Not bent out of shape at all and could care less if you wear one or not. I have my reasons why I don't wear one and I can appreciate why someone would want to wear one and that is fine with me and I'm not going to bash them for doing so. Opinions and ideas are great and that is how we can learn but when they become condescending and accusatory it is no longer a free exchange.

Revisit that explanation and evaluate it. Don't take anything at face value, don't drink the cool-aid. Use your own judgment. That's one of the things you have to be able to do if you want to be a competent diver.
I understand what you are saying. I think that my assessment was that it was not that important. Choosing between donating primary or octopus did not seem to me like life threatening issue. I knew (and still don’t know much) nothing about long hose and setup that could complicate things. That’s why I am very conservative in my choices. I regularly practice OOA with my buddy by donating the primary reg and making a controlled ascent and we have never had any issue. But that’s right that she has exactly the same setup that I have.
To end up with a funny note. Nowadays, nobody wants to test reg exchange or first aid breathing (even with a mask) because of freaking Covid. Except my buddy/ wife .

You aren't an instructor, I am .. my concern is the new divers in this forum who don't know any better.

There are lots of BAD instructors out there. Citing your credentials to bolster your side of an argument does nothing but weaken it.

New divers don't need snorkels anymore than experienced divers do.

I couldn't care less if you want to dive with a snorkel. Dive with two for redundancy even. Good for you.

That was funny!

New divers don't need snorkels anymore than experienced divers do.

And this proven scientific statement is based on what?

There are lots of BAD instructors out there. Citing your credentials to bolster your side of an argument does nothing but weaken it.

An instructor/educator is supposed to lead new divers away from inaccurate and false information such as the information on why a snorkel isn't need that was brought up here in this thread. When somebody justifies the reasons for not using a snorkel based on their confusion with the BC inflator hose, this implies to the uninitiated new diver that the snorkel is a bad thing to have and they must avoid using it. This statement and the conclusion drawn from it are totally wrong and are actually derived from poor skills and poor training. You want to buttress your argument against using a snorkel, bring out a valid reason based on proper facts not based on your lack of skill and poor training.

Please stop it ,my lack of education,
backwardness. illiteracy. illiteratenes having left school in 1966 after only 10 years of schooling, I find myself using Google to understand all these large words .
Snorkel: A tube that you hold in your mouth to help you breathe if you are swimming with your face underwater.

And this proven scientific statement is based on what
And what science supports the need to use a snorkel?

I don’t know about you, but I don’t spend a lot of time on the surface when I am diving. Once submerged, it’s a completely useless and unnecessary dangly bit that just flops around and pulls on my mask, especially in strong currents.

If I was diving in rough seas, I’d carry a foldable one to use on the surface, if needed. If shore diving, I either swim on my back and roll over to check position periodically or just do some breath hold surface swimming for a bit.

However, if folks feel a need to use one, it’s their right/choice to do so - but it is not about any essential scuba skills that I can see?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom