Should I wear a snorkel or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Edit: geez... I really need to pay better attention to the dates on these threads, lol... maybe coffee before posting🙄

How much air are you really saving at the surface by not breathing on a tank? Honest question.

Well, just looked at a log from oyster diving from a longer than usual surface swim. I remember huffing and puffing a good bit, regulator in mouth breathing it the whole time. Some chop at the surface. This was an 8 min surface swim. Diving a set of HP100's I used almost 160 psi or roughly 9cf of air.

I don't use a snorkel, I think it gets in the way, but I guess it could be used in real world situations. I plan my dives for way more air then I'll ever need so 9cf is really inconsequential to me, but if I was in singles I can see how that would bite into a dive some.

Until moving to Australia I had never used a snorkel whilst diving, however where I dive has long surface swims. I've resisted until my last dive, surface swim killed me on my back. I'm as I type simultaneously looking for a snorkel, good but not one that will break the bank. I used to own an AA Sv1 snorkel, used it a couple of times snorkeling but then sold it, it was nothing special and IMO not worth the price.

What kind? I have an IST SN60 and it works great in my dive bag on the boat.

It has a wide bore oval tube, no "dry" choke valve up top but a purge valve in the bottom, and a flex section for best fit. All parts are obtainable separately incl. the mask clip: you can get one for your every mask.

What kind? I have an IST SN60 and it works great in my dive bag on the boat.

It has a wide bore oval tube, no "dry" choke valve up top but a purge valve in the bottom, and a flex section for best fit. All parts are obtainable separately incl. the mask clip: you can get one for your every mask.

Thanks, I'll take a look.

Back
Top Bottom