Should I wear a snorkel or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Swimming on your back in a BPW isn’t difficult.
For *you*, it is not difficult. However, the member who posted just above you said that they haven't been able to figure it out.

Perhaps you could make some helpful suggestions rather than just say that it "isn't difficult".

I can not believe there has been 500 replies on the topic of wearing snorkel...
Somebody could not figure out how to swim on their back???

I can not believe there has been 500 replies on the topic of wearing snorkel...
Somebody could not figure out how to swim on their back???
There are special rules for this subforum, "New Divers & Those Considering Diving". You should read them and attempt to abide by them.

Swimming on your back in a BPW isn’t difficult.
Maybe not but I prefer to see in front of me and what's under me. Even so, it may not be difficult but I'd bet that it's harder than swimming on your stomach. Plus, I have a lot less drag anyway since I use a horse collar BC. No wings or jackets flapping in the current, just a slim BC tight against my chest and a snorkel in my face!

It is for a couple of hours in strong current.
...and having a snorkel hanging off of your mask while diving in strong currents is a great way to ensure mask leaks or even having the mask ripped right off of your face.

I see it as If folks want to use a snorkel while diving, then they should. However, they need to understand and accept the implications/tradeoffs that go with it and plan accordingly. I personally don't wear one as I find them incredibly annoying - but I can see someone wanting to have one for surface use/surface swims (though I'd suggest a folding one or some other way to store it (not on your mask) once under water).

Most folks I know do not even have a snorkel in their dive bag. Others who have decades of experience never go in the water without one. The bottom line is whatever makes the individual the most comfortable both physically and mentally is the best choice.

.and having a snorkel hanging off of your mask while diving in strong currents is a great way to ensure mask leaks or even having the mask ripped right off of your face.

I see it as If folks want to use a snorkel while diving, then they should. However, they need to understand and accept the implications/tradeoffs that go with it and plan accordingly. I personally don't wear one as I find them incredibly annoying - but I can see someone wanting to have one for surface use/surface swims (though I'd suggest a folding one or some other way to store it (not on your mask) once under water).

Having had a "lost at sea" experience, I wished I had a snorkel with me. A roll up snorkel in a pocket would is a good compromise. Snorkel flopping around on a mask during a dive? No.

...and having a snorkel hanging off of your mask while diving in strong currents is a great way to ensure mask leaks or even having the mask ripped right off of your face.

I agree with those statements. I keep mine stuffed thru my BFK straps on my calf when I'm on canned air. Then, if I need it on the surface, I just slip it up thru my mask strap. I started doing it that way after it rubbed a ceiling on my first ever cave dive. I was not having much fun when suddenly, something grabbed the side of head.

Contrary to what my partner claimed: I did not scream into my regulator! I simply removed the snorkel from my mask strap and stuck it thru my knife straps. I did use some extra air though!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom