Covid testing in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can someone explain how a resort such as Palace can offer 2 weeks if tested positive.
That’s a busy place and just think of the logistics of doing it?
Maybe you’ll have a room somewhere but in the resort, maybe, maybe not. For sure you won’t be laying around the pool or dining in the restaurants.
I’m sure health officials will be notified of positive tests, will they monitor your quarantine?

I am guessing The Palace and most other resorts are operating a fraction of full capacity and have plenty of space to accommodate any guests for another 2 weeks that could test positive.

When we were in Coz in Dec. through X-mas we stayed at the Casa Mexicana. During that week of X-mas pre-Covid the place would normally be at virtually 100% occupancy. This year, during that week it was probably 50% occupancy but it goes further... The 2 sister hotels of the Casa Mexicana (Colonial Suites and Bahia Suites) are currently closed so everyone who would have been staying at those 2 hotels were automatically upgraded to the Casa Mexicana. When I realized that pre-covid all 3 hotels would have been almost full and now all 3 are only able to fill one to maybe 50% occupancy that would equate to almost one-sixth the # of people who would have been staying in the 3 hotels pre-covid that week.

As far as quarantine enforcement is concerned, I guess we'll have to wait for some stories to be posted by any who may end up stuck on the island. If one were to test positive does the hospital notify the hotel or resort? Obviously if someone has to cash in on a 2-week free extension proof of the positive test will need to be provided to the resort's management. However, if someone isn't staying at an all-inclusive resort offering free extended stay I am guessing they are just on their own until they test negative. I doubt Cozumel has the resources to enforce true quarantine of travelers that test positive. Who is going to monitor them? Who is going to is going to deliver them water and drinks and meals 3 times a day? Who is going to wash their clothes, provide toiletries, refill prescription drugs if they failed to pack an extra few weeks worth, etc?

The easiest way to avoid all of this potential mess is to just practice all recommended best behaviors to avoid contracting Covid in the first place when traveling. For those who do that all of this may as well be a non-issue other than the added cost of the tests prior to departure. It's mostly those in the general public who don't practice best behaviors that end up infected here, there, everywhere.

How far out is Costamed taking reservations? We're booked for early April and don't want to miss setting up an appointment. I also don't want to overwhelm them as people are lining up tests for travel prior to that.
Called CostaMed up yesterday and booked appointment for Feb 19. Reservation one month out was simple. Hopefully the day of the test goes as easily.

Also hope that the amount of travelers needing these doesn't negativity impact the health care for the locals.

Can someone explain how a resort such as Palace can offer 2 weeks if tested positive.
That’s a busy place and just think of the logistics of doing it?
Maybe you’ll have a room somewhere but in the resort, maybe, maybe not. For sure you won’t be laying around the pool or dining in the restaurants.
I’m sure health officials will be notified of positive tests, will they monitor your quarantine?

Here's the most detailed info I've gotten from the resort's website.

"Guests who have tested positive will be accommodated in a designated COVID area of the resort." (and there will be big signs at the front of that hallway that say "UNCLEAN!!!!" - just kidding!). I know that doesn't explain how they can offer 2 wks and absorb the cost - unless they're banking on people NOT getting sick because of their extra measures - and it's better than having an empty hotel?

I stayed at the Palace for a week in December and they were pretty darned clean - all staff wore masks 100% of the time, even on the dive boats. I wonder if they'll kick up the measures a notch or two to make it even less likely you'll pick up covid while there? At Fiesta Americana they brought us our drinks on a tray and we took them off, so they didn't touch them at table-side, and flatware was delivered in plastic bags. Maybe Palace will do those now as well?

I did get sick after I got home - but I think it was from our 4 hour Miami layover, where we went from one set of chairs to another, gate to gate, trying to get away from people who don't have 'indoor voices' or are simply rude (like the guy who related his terrible tale of ordering a 'f*cking couch, that hasn't f*cking arrived yet, and I f*cking have a house full of f*cking people coming for f*cking Christmas!'. No exaggeration by the way - he said 'f*cking' THAT many times, and really loud. I'm not averse to cursing, but he was over the top for an airport, during the holidays, with kids all around, and when I just wanted to chill. Anyway ... I didn't think about wiping down every surface each time we moved from gate to gate, and I suspect THAT's where I picked up whatever bug I picked up. We were in Cozumel for two weeks, and I didn't get sick until I'd been home for 4 days. I think my odds of picking up a bug are higher at our local Walmart than at a resort in Cozumel.

Because of the longer wait time or?

PCR requires more better lab equipment and trained staff to run it. There's only so many test/day you can push through existing labs and likely zero more labs you can afford to build. Cf. rapid antigen test options that by now include a $5 pee-on-a-stick-type kits.

We always rent a casa either on vrbo or Airbnb. That could be a real problem if you test positive and need to vacate by your set date. I often wondered during our recent trip what would happen if you got covid or simply a fever of some sort. You better have some support as you couldn’t eat or shop anywhere.
If you had to be out of your casa where could you stay if you’re sick? Are the rental companies doing anything (doubt it)?
At least we got free covid insurance with our Air Canada tickets this past Dec.

I have 333 days to worry about this so it’s not a huge concern to me at the moment.

I have 333 days to worry about this so it’s not a huge concern to me at the moment.

Agreed. It looks as though we are on about the same Coz schedule for Decembers. :) My wife and I have 326 days before we plan to return to Coz for another 2 week trip.

From all of the posts I've read on the Coz forum since Covid there is not a single Scubaboard member who has visited Coz during the pandemic who has not very happy they did and some have offered encouragement to others to put their fears aside and enjoy travel (while abiding by best practices to avoid contracting and spreading Covid). Additionally, I have yet to see a single member who has traveled to Cozumel during the pandemic post that they became infected with Covid due to their travel and I am not surprised at all... Divers as a whole are trained and know how to mitigate the risk that diving presents. As such, most divers also understand the risk Covid presents and they abide by best practices to mitigate that risk just the same.

I encourage everyone here who is willing to abide by best practices to travel without fear. This newest Covid test requirement to return should not be a concern for those who abide by best practices to avoid contracting Covid. The odds of one who abides by best practices on vacation in Coz are less than walking about in the USA. Mexico has been and continues to take this virus far more seriously than the USA. Most who have visited said they felt safer in Coz than at home! I know I did.

I think this newest clear Covid test requirement to re-enter the USA is most likely being implemented to instill fear in the idiots who leave their brains on the tarmac at the airport in the USA and plan to travel and party as if Covid doesn't exist. Of note, 2021 college Spring Break is coming up in less than 2 months and most of those kids who think they are indestructible get their spring break vaca paid for by their parents. Perhaps the thought of their kids foolish behavior that could leave them stranded in a foreign country and mom and dad will have to pay the bills until they test clear sends a shock through the parents and they perhaps think twice before paying for their "entitled" kids' trips.

Agreed. It looks as though we are on about the same Coz schedule for Decembers. :) My wife and I have 326 days before we plan to return to Coz for another 2 week trip.

From all of the posts I've read on the Coz forum since Covid there is not a single Scubaboard member who has visited Coz during the pandemic who has not very happy they did and some have offered encouragement to others to put their fears aside and enjoy travel (while abiding by best practices to avoid contracting and spreading Covid). Additionally, I have yet to see a single member who has traveled to Cozumel during the pandemic post that they became infected with Covid due to their travel and I am not surprised at all... Divers as a whole are trained and know how to mitigate the risk that diving presents. As such, most divers also understand the risk Covid presents and they abide by best practices to mitigate that risk just the same.

I encourage everyone here who is willing to abide by best practices to travel without fear. This newest Covid test requirement to return should not be a concern for those who abide by best practices to avoid contracting Covid. The odds of one who abides by best practices on vacation in Coz are less than walking about in the USA. Mexico has been and continues to take this virus far more seriously than the USA. Most who have visited said they felt safer in Coz than at home! I know I did.

I think this newest clear Covid test requirement to re-enter the USA is most likely being implemented to instill fear in the idiots who leave their brains on the tarmac at the airport in the USA and plan to travel and party as if Covid doesn't exist. Of note, 2021 college Spring Break is coming up in less than 2 months and most of those kids who think they are indestructible get their spring break vaca paid for by their parents. Perhaps the thought of their kids foolish behavior that could leave them stranded in a foreign country and mom and dad will have to pay the bills until they test clear sends a shock through the parents and they perhaps think twice before paying for their "entitled" kids' trips.
I don't follow the logic here. Precisely because "I have yet to see a single member who has traveled to Cozumel during the pandemic post that they became infected with Covid due to their travel" I do not see the reason for me being tested one extra time, waste my time and spend my money, just to honor the bureaucrats in Washington.

In Summer in Florida I've seen huge gathering of people in Riviera Beach on Sunday, with kids, coolers, the whole 9 yards. There were no masks and no social distancing whatsoever, 1 person per 10 square feet. The streets were packed with police cruisers, likely because of the BLM activity, but nobody came to the beach to tell these people Hey guys, please put masks on and stay at least 6 ft from each other! Or take our state Governor Henry McMaster. In Summer, he closed all state parks but at the same time declared over the radio that "We encourage people to get out and get some fresh air!" So where did all these encouraged people go? Sure thing, everyone went to those few trails left open, that were not any part of the state park system. As result, there were like 500 people hiking the 1-mile loop of the Wildcat Falls Trail at any given moment over the weekends in July. Other trails like that, Chestnut Ridge Heritage Preserve or Bradley Falls in NC were equally clogged with people because there was nothing else to go and the NC state parks were also closed. Thus, in Summer, local and federal authorities did little to help people disperse and did not enforce masks and social distancing where people couldn't. But now that they wasted time doing nothing useful they are simulating activity by placing the burden on traveler's shoulders.

ok so I read somewhere that we just show our Covid test at the airport check in counter, be it by paper or digital. Im curious on how do the airline staff decide the test is real? Could someone just print out some fake paperwork stating he got tested and it was negative. Not sure if there is an actual system that Cozumel/mexico uses that would verify the authenticity of the result.

ok so I read somewhere that we just show our Covid test at the airport check in counter, be it by paper or digital. Im curious on how do the airline staff decide the test is real? Could someone just print out some fake paperwork stating he got tested and it was negative. Not sure if there is an actual system that Cozumel/mexico uses that would verify the authenticity of the result.
I do not know in your country, but falsifying a medical report is a quite severe crime here. You risk to be jailed for years, if caught...
Do you really risk serving some years in jail just for saving the few bucks the real test is costing?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom