Rob Stewart Investigation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

likely a typo from 1.6

you can tolerate much higher for short durations, with the caveat that the risk of o2 toxicity rises.
Yeah, makes me question the author's knowledge of basic scuba diving theory.

At that time, I was able to focus, took the dang picture at 144’ with EAN32 and slowly ascent to the save PPO2 level

7D489801-B3C8-474C-B958-70AD77855974.jpeg

Yeah, makes me question the author's knowledge of basic scuba diving theory.

it could be just a goof and whoever proofed the draft missed it (or if they were a non-diver they wouldn't know it was incorrect)

now if it got in there because there was no proofing before it went live on kindle, then that would be laughable attention to detail on the par with fanfiction

If you proof your own writing, you're apt to miss minor errors. In that case, the best method is to read everything backward.

“On the other end of the rebreather scale, if you let your oxygen supply fall below .14 PO2, then your body doesn’t have enough oxygen to sustain life.“

not the first mistake ...................or the only

it could be just a goof and whoever proofed the draft missed it (or if they were a non-diver they wouldn't know it was incorrect)

now if it got in there because there was no proofing before it went live on kindle, then that would be laughable attention to detail on the par with fanfiction
It isn’t the 1.6 vs 1.16, but rather the issue of time being left out. The way it reads as is, you go to 1.601 ppO2, you are going into convulsions. Sorry but no.

Richard Pyle is famed for, among other things, surviving a chamber ride at 6.0 Bar O2 with no ill effects.
Going above 1.4Bar (New School) or 1.6Bar (Old School) or even 2.8Bar (Italian Navy RB divers) for less than 30 minutes is unlikely to kill you.

Michael

Is that 1.16 PO2 correct? I have passed that number many times, even 1.7 for 4 minutes and nothing happened to me. My dive computer gives option of 1.4 or 1.6.

My understanding from the people I spoke with is that the 1.16 PO2 mark is not an absolute. It's not like a cliff if you take one step over you fall. It's more like a sliding scale. The higher your PO2 the more chances you have of experiencing oxygen toxicity. I recall reading about one diver in a book (Shadow Divers?) who regularly ignored his PO2 levels until the day he was hit with a massive event and died. I'm sure on this forum there are many many people who have much more knowledge than I do about this phenomenon. I invite them to weigh in on this.

Back
Top Bottom