How to answer "what is your highest certification level"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Mike,
I did not quote you. It's just that I use Nitrous Oxide to help me with nitrogen narcosis.
Ah, nitrogen narcosis. I may have missed that part of this thread.

ETA: I don't find that. Did you mean to post in a different thread?

Ah, nitrogen narcosis. I may have missed that part of this thread.

ETA: I don't find that. Did you mean to post in a different thread?

"what is your highest certification level"?

Here's a twist on this: How the hell does one list tech diving qualification on a résumé using minimal words in a way that's clear enough to convey to non-divers that it's an advanced cert, but precise enough for divers to understand your actual cert level?
"Certified to all levels, open and closed circuit."

Most often when diving with a new dive operator or even the same dive operator with a new/different crew you will be asked a few questions such as when was your last dive, have you dived in cold water, how many dives and what is your highest certification level.

I can easily tell the op when my last dive was, how many and if I have cold water experience.

I don't know the answer to the last question because I don't know how different certifications are ranked. I am guessing that OW is the lowest, AOW next, Rescue next. Where do the other certifications rank? If asked does does Solo/Self reliant rank higher? How about Deep or Wreck or Cave, Nitrox, drysuit, etc?

highest cert level is underwater basket weaving sir. At least thats what my pa said I majored in

Out of curiosity, how would you handle someone rocking up with sidemount kit and wanting to rent two cylinders for a dive? What about if they mentioned solo? And would you expect to see a sidemount card of some description or other?

In my neck of the woods, sidemount is fairly common, so renting a couple of tanks to a SM diver is nothing special. Often if I'm guiding less experienced divers I'll be in SM simply so that I can if necessary extend their dives, with no worries about gas contents.

As usual the devil is in the detail. If you've got yoru own rig, we wouldn't be asking for a cert card, a couple of carefully framed questions gives us the answers we need. Probably the biggest factor is is that person self sufficient. By that I mean, since we boat dive, can they gear up with little assistance and roll in, or are they one of those SM divers who faff about demanding a higher degree of assistance and slowing the boat down.

Regarding solo. Unless you're known to us, no you won't get solo. That privilege (and it is a privilege) requires a level of familiarity and trust from both sides.

To ask the question back at you. Would you embrace an unknown diver as a buddy on say a 60m long deco dive, having never seen them and only having their cert cards and log book for backup?

Like @boulderjohn I always show my instructor cards at a new shop. Primarily out of professional courtesy.

Of course they "honour the card" by not treating me like a newbie, but I know my conduct, attitude and skills, above and below the surface are being judged, and that their latitude towards me has to be earned. By me.

If I were to rock into a new shop, slap a tech instructor card on the table and demand to go solo, I'm pretty sure what the response would be.

Diving Dubai's breakdown was great. With a big op, people are more split between boats.

Thank you.

I present my SSI AOW (my highest non-obscure), am in a long hose BP/W, and when talking about dives discuss assisting at Berkeley.

Personal Perspective: Turning up on a LH & BP/W doesn't get you any more credibility off the bat. The reason is simply that I've (we've) seen too many people who've brought into LH, after reading/ watching videos etc, and who've not either taken any formal training into the basics or have not practiced or retained the skills. I sometime configure my rigs in LH so fully familiar and trained in it (as are more Instructors in my area) so it's not a novelty that we've never seen. What it does do is draws attention to you, in that I have a higher level of expectation for your skills and abilities before I've seen you in the water.

Thus it's far easier for you to disappoint than impress (if you get my drift)

I'm curious if presenting a solo card and being equipped for it shifts the situation of one needing a buddy and one feeling fine alone from there now being a new client buddy pair toward one buddying with the DM and a solo diver

I hope I answered that in the post above. The card on it's own, even with a logbook is almost meaningless (like a Tech card) Until you've go to know the person, their skills and attitude, you're unlikely to trust them with the responsibility of Solo straight away

It is venturing more into the solo card discussion, though cert cards are about diving the way we'd like, situation permitting

I personally believe there's too much emphasis on the solo card, I personally don't rate it at a similar level to a basic Tech card. People should just undertake basic tech course where they'll learn much more.

Using the Tech analogy to get my view point across, if a new member joins a team, they've undergo a few work-up dives so that everyone can get familiar and their skills (and attitude) are gauged before a properly deep dive is conducted,

So before you allow someone to go solo off your boat, their skills etc must be evaluated (informally) and a decision as to whether you're comfortable to trust them must be made.

As always trust is earned and a card doesn't automatically entitle you to that trust.

As always trust is earned and a card doesn't automatically entitle you to that trust.
Thanks. Trust is earned makes sense.

BP/W makes tons of sense to me recreationally. I think the BP/W part is as easy as a jacket BC, depending on how you manage the layering of the possible crotch strap and possible weight belt. I'd be fine with a "still growing into their diving" rating to be in the more adaptable and easily trimmable kit. Going with the 7' hose is optional and takes practice in and out of the water. I think my skills hold up post-dive from crew comments and sending me down first while they get the rest in and sorted topside. But that is not from having a 7' hose.

As a new sidemount diver, I'm now at risk of faffing about some, despite preplanning and practice. Though I don't need help with it and start in on it early.

I was very amused to see this question stated in very practical terms for the signup to the Giant Kelp Restoration Project. Please feel free to fight amongst yourselves. For the record, I put Advanced Open Water because, while I do have Rescue, it was strictly to be a better buddy and I am in no particular shape, physical or otherwise, to be rescuing anyone.

Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 5.14.02 PM.png

Alt Text: "What is your highest level of certification? Open Water, Advanced Open Water, Rescue Diver, Dive Master, Assistant Instructor, Instructor, GUE Fundamentals."

Not really surprised to see Fundies there, BAUE is pretty big, my understanding to the point that they basically have a dive boat that carters only them.

I was very amused to see this question stated in very practical terms for the signup to the Giant Kelp Restoration Project. Please feel free to fight amongst yourselves. For the record, I put Advanced Open Water because, while I do have Rescue, it was strictly to be a better buddy and I am in no particular shape, physical or otherwise, to be rescuing anyone.

View attachment 645126
Alt Text: "What is your highest level of certification? Open Water, Advanced Open Water, Rescue Diver, Dive Master, Assistant Instructor, Instructor, GUE Fundamentals."

That's interesting, because I don't show my GUE Fundamentals cert because I figure that many dive ops might not know what it is, especially in the Caribbean. If it were a GUE project or shop, then sure, which I'm assuming the above is. Otherwise, I just show MSD.

Hmm, maybe we should start showing GUE cards just so ops get more familiar with them. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom