How to answer "what is your highest certification level"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With a pocketful of cards, which ones should be shown? I'd generally show SDI Solo Diver and if nitrox is available I'll show my TDI Normoxic Trimix card, simply because both of these cards considerably trump the recreational cards in terms of evaluation and skill level. I'd have my Shearwater app on my phone, so can show several hundred dives on that as proof of experience. I do carry a Rescue Diver card, but have long since thrown out the beginner certifications. I don't object to an in-water assessment on the first dive.

I'll also make it clear that I'm not staff. I'm paying for the dive and expect to be able to slowly bimble around looking at the things that interest me away from the madding thong of the pack. If a 'buddy' is essential, then I expect one that is competent.

Is that reasonable in your experience?
Re expecting a competent buddy--
Going out as a single in winter in N. Florida with maybe a total of 4-6 divers on board, you take what you get. Or you don't sign up.

I've found this... I dive with a few dive centers and the instructors and DM's at them have worked at the other places as well.
When I go to another place it has been recommended to me what dive center is recommended. So they will often inform the other dive center about the customer being referred. I'll happily go with OW divers who are not so experienced say on the first dive or even other dives... I find good centers put those who are good an air with a DM so they can do those 75 - 90 minute dives and have other DM's take people who do the 60 minute dive times.

One place I dive with will put me with the DM alone to do our back on boat with 40 or 50 bar but no time limit dives. I like that concept a lot :) Most dive centers ask how many dives I have in the last 12 months more than anything else.

Re expecting a competent buddy--
Going out as a single in winter in N. Florida with maybe a total of 4-6 divers on board, you take what you get. Or you don't sign up.
Once and never again.

Do you have the concept of "independent" boats? Where most dive solo or, if they need a buddy they bring one?

Pro level cards, if you're current that's good - being a Pro doesn't mean I'm giving you a less experienced diver (the complete opposite) but it's nice to know incase something bad happens and you need assistance. Hopefully the professional respect is two way

Buddy matching is without doubt the hardest thing a dive centre has to do, and while it's not ideal to buddy 2 divers of disproportionate experience, sometimes it's unavoidable given the divers registered.

Diving Dubai's comments are consistent with my experience. I got my first professional card 16 years ago, and I have always shown a professional card in these situations. I have never been intentionally buddied with a weak diver because of my professional status--quite the opposite. They try to get me with the best divers on the boat. Believe it or not, they want instructors to be happy with them, come back, and recommend them to others. Once in Cozumel they screwed up and put me on a boat with 4 people, a husband/wife team of pros and a raw beginner. Of course, that forced me to buddy with the beginner. When we got back, the owner immediately gave me an apology and a full refund without my even mentioning the dives.

Once diving with a big company in Hawai'i (Jack's Fish Locker), the big boat was divided into 3 groups based on our certification levels. When our group got together, someone from the company explained that they were training a new DM, everyone in our group had more dives than the new DM, and we should just have fun and stay reasonable close to him. The other two groups were all beginners. We splashed first and got out of the water last, after a really great dive. I wonder how many instructors were in the two beginner groups, smug in the knowledge that they had fooled the company by only showing a basic card.

This past winter in Florida I was forced to change dive operators. I showed my trimix instructor card for a basic reef dive. I dived with that company for the rest of the winter, and I was given complete freedom to do whatever I wanted to do on the dives. They just asked me to be back by the maximum dive time, which, of course, I always did to the minute.

Once and never again.

Do you have the concept of "independent" boats? Where most dive solo or, if they need a buddy they bring one?
Not that I've heard of, but that doesn't mean it doesn't occur. Maybe on the West Coast?

Not that I've heard of, but that doesn't mean it doesn't occur. Maybe on the West Coast?
In my post rec. beginner west coast experience, the boats have said "If you need a buddy let us know." They did not say: "Who is not buddied up?" I've never said I needed one and always dived solo, on boats that did not know me. Solo in CA, solo in the group in HI and Belize. Yet, there were not any leftover singles telling the boat that they needed a buddy, that I knew. I present my SSI AOW (my highest non-obscure), am in a long hose BP/W, and when talking about dives discuss assisting at Berkeley.

I'm curious if presenting a solo card and being equipped for it shifts the situation of one needing a buddy and one feeling fine alone from there now being a new client buddy pair toward one buddying with the DM and a solo diver. Depending on how much one may need professional assistance and it being everyone's vacation. And, obviously, the boat's view on solo in general. Come with a buddy or be pair if needed is certainly an option.

It is venturing more into the solo card discussion, though cert cards are about diving the way we'd like, situation permitting.

Diving Dubai's breakdown was great. With a big op, people are more split between boats.

Was that a critique of the topic, its current direction or my claiming post beginner? I've clarified it to post rec. beginner, which seemed clear from the random boat dive context. I do know my dive count, I also know they are not the best indicator. Not that you quoted me.

From a Dive centre POV, assuming you're a stranger to me....

Out of curiosity, how would you handle someone rocking up with sidemount kit and wanting to rent two cylinders for a dive? What about if they mentioned solo? And would you expect to see a sidemount card of some description or other?

Was that a critique of the topic, its current direction or my claiming post beginner? I've clarified it to post rec. beginner, which seemed clear from the random boat dive context. I do know my dive count, I also know they are not the best indicator. Not that you quoted me.

Hi Mike,
I did not quote you. It's just that I use Nitrous Oxide to help me with nitrogen narcosis.

Back
Top Bottom