So conflicted - Perdix AI, or wait and gamble on a Peregrine AI appearing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tep

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So, I was getting ready to buy a Perdix AI. March 2020. Then COVID happened and I wasn't diving. OK, I says to myself, I'll wait and see how long this lasts. I can always get a Perdix AI from the LDS when I am ready to go diving again. I've already put the cash in an envelope in the safe, in the basement, behind the vault door, protected by the leopard. So I can't spend it on ham radio gear. Or Japanese whiskey.

Then July 2020 the Peregrine ships. OH SHINY - I don't need multi-gas deco, the Peregrine is my sweet spot, I MUST BUY THIS MAGICAL THING. MY PRECIOUS.

Oops, no AI (which I really want, for reasons).

The Perdix AI appeared only a year or two (?) after the Perdix. It is *possible* that a Peregrine AI is in the works, or delayed by COVID. But a Peregrine AI would cannibalize sales of the Perdix AI, so if *I* was Shearwater, *I* wouldn't launch a Peregrine AI for at last another year. Margins are incredibly important in this market.

On the one hand, I want to believe that a Peregrine AI will appear. On the other hand, if I was Shearwater, I'd wait at least another year before announcing it.

(Rats, I've just talked myself into the Perdix, haven't I?)

Is there any possibility of wanting to do any sort of technical diving, even mild deco, trimix, or rebreather stuff in your future? If so get the Perdix. And prepare to do frequent battle with the leopard.

Peregrine AI may or may not ever exist so it's very hard to base immediate purchase decisions on that.

The Perdix AI appeared only a year or two (?) after the Perdix. It is *possible* that a Peregrine AI is in the works, or delayed by COVID. But a Peregrine AI would cannibalize sales of the Perdix AI, so if *I* was Shearwater, *I* wouldn't launch a Peregrine AI for at last another year. Margins are incredibly important in this market.

On the one hand, I want to believe that a Peregrine AI will appear. On the other hand, if I was Shearwater, I'd wait at least another year before announcing it.

Purely my personal opinion, I doubt we are going to see a Peregrine AI until after a refreshed Perdix AI. They need some product separation between the two. But they have other products that could use a refresh like the Teric which has some real competition from Garmin. So where such a refresh would be in the timeline is questionable.

So if you are looking to buy in the next couple of years and want a full size AI computer Perdix AI is your computer.

Shearwater if memory serves said no AI on the peregrine. That said the Perdix is the way to go if your wallet can afford it. It is in my opinion just a better computer even if your not going to tech dive.

I went to a Perdix after using the Eon core. The Perdix is awesome.

Glenn

Split the difference. Buy a used Perdix AI. A little more than the Peregrine, but not as much as new. Figure $700.

I spent 2 years going back and forth about getting one, the only thing I regret is not getting one sooner.

I love the Perdix AI, its just that little bit more flexible in its screen settings. If you have zero interest in reorganising or changing the data on the screen, or having a compass, the Peregrine is a nice computer. But you won't be disappointed with the Perdix, and you can have it now rather than maybe getting a Peregrine AI later.

There is value in getting use out of something vs constantly waiting for something that may never materialize.

I have zero regrets on my Perdix purchase and I am not a tech diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom