02 cleaning cylinders question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ulfhedinn

-Skill Collector-
Reaction score
Does an 02 clean cylinder need to be 02 cleaned every year with VIP? What is the rule on that? If the cylinder never has less then 50% 02 in it does that change things? I couldn't find any info on this but then my goggle skills seem to be lacking as of late and I'm sure my LDS is going to tell me absolutely as they make a killing off of me. I still like them though. :)

$30 per cylinder 02 clean
$20 per valve 02 clean
$12 per valve parts for rebuild
$15 Vis

I have no issues with paying for services but would just like the facts as I move forward as I have 3 setups I will need to clean.

- double post-

sorry

What I've been taught (in France mind you, each country has its own rules) : if cyclinder's not contaminated, don't clean.

Btw, if I remember correctly, Vance Harlow advises the same in his "Oxygen Hacker Companion".

I just clean the valve with is the most easily contaminated.

UK rules: must be oxygen cleaned every 15 months in order to get any nitrox mix (it's normal to do partial pressure blending with pure oxygen in the UK). The dive shops -- especially if they have an oxygen cleaning business -- will refuse to fill if it's out of test/clean.

As someone who uses high concentration O2 or just plain trimix, it *really* annoys that you're expected to dump the gas and pay for a refill.

Filling yourself is an entirely different matter. Decanting from some high pressure cylinders, especially into small 3 litre rebreather cylinders.

Does an 02 clean cylinder need to be 02 cleaned every year with VIP? What is the rule on that? If the cylinder never has less then 50% 02 in it does that change things? I couldn't find any info on this but then my goggle skills seem to be lacking as of late and I'm sure my LDS is going to tell me absolutely as they make a killing off of me. I still like them though. :)

$30 per cylinder 02 clean
$20 per valve 02 clean
$12 per valve parts for rebuild
$15 Vis

I have no issues with paying for services but would just like the facts as I move forward as I have 3 setups I will need to clean.

It depends on the LDS. As @tursiops pointed out, there's no set rules. If a shop is PP blending the tank should be O2 cleaned. Technically, after it's been O2 cleaned and leaves the shop there's no guarantee that it stays that way.

Your shop is being 100% thorough in what they're doing, but they're also raking you over the coals. Gosh I hope at the very least you get a fill out of that at the end of the day. That's $77 / tank / year.... that's a pretty hefty scuba tax.

Depends on what the shop wants to do pretty much. Most shops around me will clean a cylinder every year, even brand new cylinders get cleaned despite the fact they are coming clean from the factory. I can see cleaning a set of doubles every year that is getting dove and filled 1-2x per week, but cleaning a deco or BO bottle yearly that is getting filled a lot less frequently is a little much.

If you are a '"known customer" then a o2 clean vip just cleans the valve, change orings, check inside the tank for visual contamination and good to go. Hopefully there is some mutual trust.

If you are not a regular, it's a full o2 cleaning at VIP time as there is no known history and trust. Yes it's a double standard but O2 fires are no fun.

on that not how does one clean a CG870 valve? Does it come apart?

only thing I could find was this.. which says much of nothing.

I am picking up an AL40 cylinder tomorrow at the LDS. I asked the same question as the OP and was told 02 cleaning is every 5 years. The Hydro, VIP, O2 clean and fill with air costs $130.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom