02 cleaning cylinders question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

on that not how does one clean a CG870 valve? Does it come apart?

only thing I could find was this.. which says much of nothing.
They are so cheap and service kits are basically a total PITA to track down they are not often taken apart and cleaned. NOTHING but O2 should ever go through a CGA870 valve - so they really don't get oil or contaminants in them ever anyway. If for some reason they did get another gas, or something dripped on it, I would just replace it.

They are so cheap and service kits are basically a total PITA to track down they are not often taken apart and cleaned. NOTHING but O2 should ever go through a CGA870 valve - so they really don't get oil or contaminants in them ever anyway. If for some reason they did get another gas, or something dripped on it, I would just replace it.

How I felt too.

I was just at a dive shop that primarily caters to tech divers like cave or deep divers. My Rebreather O2 tank is up for a hydro and I asked about getting this done and an O2 cleaning and fill. The employee said they do O2 cleanings but it doesn’t do any good and is a waste of money but if I wanted one he’d take my money. Is this position new? I took EA and rebreather training in 2009. I hate to say I haven’t kept up with industry policy/training the last 3-4 but my training, then, was O2 cleaning for any over 40% O2 was required. Have I missed something?

Rebreather O2 tank has probably (you know for sure) never had any other gas than 100% clean O2. Therefore I don't see any need for O2 cleaning.

It is wise to clean stages with 50% mix, diluent tanks used for blending, etc. however.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom