+1.75 or +3.00?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Go to prescription divemasks.com. With what you want, I recommend getting your actual prescription. I have a prescription mask with bifocal. It takes getting used to just like my first bifocal glasses, but it well worth the cost.
DivemasterDennis

Chris

Whether the terminology is correct or not i think we both have the same vision issues. I bought a faactory mask with the reading lenses in the bottom. They were made for reading gages. About $50 for the Mask

Thank you for a detailed answer. It's a bit of an overkill for me, and you've mixed up my eyes. I have +1.75 in OD, which is Right.

Let me put it simply: I bought a +3.00 cheap reading glasses and brought them home. When I put on my mask and look through its plain lenses AND the +3.00 reading glasses placed on top of mask lens (touching it), my vision is perfect! I can read my wrist computer/watch at close range better than with my prescription glasses.

My reasoning is. If instead of my "experimental lens" I will have bifocal Mares lens - I will see my gauges perfectly. Right now, LeasurePro has Mares Bi-Focal Corrective Lens for X-Vision/Liquid-Skin Mask for a very reasonable price.
Also, it's important that I never use any glasses except when I read or work on computer. I drive, walk and live all day long without glasses, and I don't feel any need for them because my distance vision is nearly perfect (95%).
Since you are so specific about all the optical info, my full prescription is:
OD SPH +1.75; CYL -1.00; AXIS 075; ADD +2.50
OS SPH +0.75; CYL -0.25; AXIS 037; ADD +2.50

---------- Post added August 2nd, 2014 at 05:15 PM ----------

I am ONLY interested in optical magnification in the bottom part of my mask lenses - to read the numbers for safety and to select settings for photography. I can see the underwater world in the distance PERFECTLY without any correction lenses.
Water magnification in my opinion and from what I saw does little to improve clarity. All I could see was a larger image of my blurry Suunto Vyper's screen.

Chris

Whether the terminology is correct or not i think we both have the same vision issues. I bought a faactory mask with the reading lenses in the bottom. They were made for reading gages. About $50 for the Mask

I like the price of this option. What if the mask doesn't fit you, or leaks?

Hello all. I was very glad to find this thread. Prior to my cataract surgery I was -19.00 (yes - nineteen) with a central scotoma in my right eye. Since the surgery I am OD -1.25 OS -1.75 -0.50 x 155 add +2.75
Best corrected to 20/50 J7

My question is --Will I need corrective lenses in my mask (besides the OS + to read gauges)? I haven't been diving since the surgery and prior was contacts. My docs don't seem to know.

Hello all. I was very glad to find this thread. Prior to my cataract surgery I was -19.00 (yes - nineteen) with a central scotoma in my right eye. Since the surgery I am OD -1.25 OS -1.75 -0.50 x 155 add +2.75

My question is --Will I need corrective lenses in my mask (besides the OS + to read gauges)? I haven't been diving since the surgery and prior was contacts. My docs don't seem to know.

Anybody?

I'd also vote for some brand of prescription lenses. The "stick on with water" bi-focals fell out with me--twice. If I were to go that route again, I'd Krazy Glue them in. I'm luck that with the Lasik I can see as good as needed reading the gauges underwater, but for $20 I figured I'd try to make it perfect.

It is hard to say if you will need corrective lens or not. The best thing to do, if possible, is to see if you can find a shop that is able to fix you up a mask with corrective lens and you can have a test dive. I know some people that have vision similar to yours that doesn't use corrective lens and they do fine, others want everything to be as clear as possible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom