100' before AOW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the guy/guys i will be with have been diving for close to 10 years...
the only reason i am asking is because i frequently freedive/spearfish in 60' and can freedive 80' comfortably... so am very confident in my water skills... just didnt know if there was a big difference between 80' and 100'
i would also be diving nitrox with a computer.

If you can do that, then 100 feet is NOTHING! You really should have a pony bottle and know what you are doing at 100 feet, but a sight seeing scuba dive at 100 feet should be much less taxing than an 80 foot freedive.

In actuality, I think there is a noticable difference between 60-80 feet vesrsus 100 feet. It starts to become deep and narcosis probably will add slightly to your stress level, even if you don't realize it.

I went to 100 ft on dive #13, but it was in Belize with great viz and warm water. I didn't think it was any big deal back then and still don't now. Not that I would suggest someone do it that early, but I also don't think it a big deal if someone does. 250 or so dives later I've still only gone 26 more feet to 126 fsw, I haven't made it to 130 yet.

It's never a big deal.... until something goes wrong.

It never feels 'different'.... until something goes wrong.

You can dive for weeks, months or years before something goes wrong. When it does, your survivability depends on whether your training and accumulated experience has provided you with the mindset, skills and knowledge to escape from that situation.

An entry-level diver with a few hours experience underwater should be very aware of their deficiencies. Those that aren't demonstrate a false confidence that often belies weak initial training.

It's never a big deal.... until something goes wrong.

It never feels 'different'.... until something goes wrong.

You can dive for weeks, months or years before something goes wrong. When it does, your survivability depends on whether your training and accumulated experience has provided you with the mindset, skills and knowledge to escape from that situation.

An entry-level diver with a few hours experience underwater should be very aware of their deficiencies. Those that aren't demonstrate a false confidence that often belies weak initial training.

Very well said, and very true. The real question is how to impart this mindset into new divers? Hell, the dive industry is corrupted by DM's and instr's who are very willing to push a diver beyond his training just for a few sou. This is particularly true at most resorts.

Dale

Well... there's an awful lot of DMs and Instructors who, themselves, have blissfully wandered through a few training courses and dives.... and not yet experienced anything going wrong.

As they say... ignorance is bliss.

Ignorance is bliss. As long as a direct and immediate ascent to the surface is possible, the rate of survival is fairly good. When a ceiling is in place not so good. Within ndls a lot of people go blissfully forward with no failures and the false sense of "warm and fuzzy".
Eric

I don't know, you go down past 100' and the pressure's pressing and the
narc talks to your brain and your brain talks to you and everything slows down and it's like breathing grease and it's loud and the spg speeds up...

Any more indicators required to get the natural built in computer working.

The sooner the enter button is pressed on an overhead mindset, the more
likely it will be to avoid or deal with appropriately this :trainwreck:

Progressive Technologies Incorporated.

Then a cloud blocks the sun

Went to 100' on dive 28 (Big Tunnel, west wall Grand Cayman) on a guided dive; DM. It was cool but I quickly learned that I enjoy the 40' to 75' dives more. I've been as deep as 120' to remind my dive buddy that 'down' was a bad idea under Bonnie's Arch (I think narc was in play for her.) Another 3 100' dives for various reasons, but still prefer the moderate depths. BTW, I'll be attending my AOW class next Thursday.

I just made my deepest dive ever:91'. It was on my approx. 30th dive. I had never been under 60' until well into my 20th+ dive. I actually never planned to go below 60' when diving. However, during a cruise last Nov. I found myself in very clear, warm water with great viz. I was comfortable with being a little deeper than 60' and went down to 85'. I actually did it a couple of times during the trip. I was comfortable with my buddy and the DM. On the recent dive to 91', conditions were once again good to where I was comforatble at that depth. I am not AOW and probably won't get the cert. due to where I live. The only place to do the check out dives would be in cold, murky water, which I don't like being in even during the summer months. If the situation occurs for me to go to 100', it would not be a place I would stay at for long. I am aware of the risks and don't feel they are worth it. A brief visit if conditions are right and there is something really worth looking at is OK though. I have no issue with telling a first time buddy NO! if I don't like what is going on. I really preffer the 40' to 60' range though, as I like longer bottom times (I like being under water and want to stay as long as possible). I have found plenty to see at those depths and like not having the increased risks of diving deeper.

This makes me wonder...

Where novice divers have exceeded their recommended depth limits... what proportion of them did so whilst following a DM on holiday and what proportion of them did so as a self-planned dive with an equally inexperienced buddy?

I'd hazard an assumption that more 'premature deep' divers were engaged in naive 'trust me' dives, than those who sat down and deliberately planned a dive to exceed their limits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom