1000 posts and still not Red?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A donation means you don't want/need/expect anything in return.
If you get something back you've really just made a purchase.
I believe most of supporters don't want/expect/need red banner. I have already said that I support this site because I find it useful for my progression as a diver.
As for the second part: even I did get "red", IMO I am still donating to this site.

Our intent in creating this, and I believe most people's intent in having the banner, is to advertise the program and our need for the program. Every time someone sees the red ScubaBoard supporter and decides to go red, it's another success.
In my case, this is true. Never thought about it until I saw one of "reds".
Just because of @flyboy08 I will not donate to this board, ever.

You're welcome.
Honestly, this looks to me like one of those: I'm leaving forever, because of....
Be and let others be.

Honestly, this looks to me like one of those: I'm leaving forever, because of....

Honestly, I'm not. But I can understand why it looks that way to you.

Honestly, I'm not. But I can understand why it looks that way to you.
I believe he's referring to the overly dramatic verbiage and not you leaving. The "You're welcome" at the end was likely the bit that put it over the top. For the few people that were offended by the OP's remarks, over a dozen have "Gone Red" since then. It would be my guess, that if you never knew about becoming a supporting member, you would never become one. This was pretty effective in that regards and I am thankful for it. No, I haven't started filling out any Chapter 11 paperwork, but candidly, this influx of cash couldn't have been more timely. If you wait for the "Going out of Business" notice before you step up, then it will probably be too late. Facebook has put a lot of pressure on the forums and most of them have already closed down. We are one of the last still standing but don't think for a minute that Facebook hasn't hurt ScubaBoard.

But whether you support SB, support our advertisers (very important) or simply read and possibly post: you're always welcome here. I simply can't stress that enough. Help if you want and can, but that's not going to affect how staff or I will treat you. We have always been a free service and I am committed to staying that way.

@The Chairman Your characterization of the OP's post as "sales" is problematic. To wit:
1. I think public calling out of specific people for not contributing to the board is a lousy sales technique. Most people will not buy what he's selling.
2. You can't have this both ways: Either this board does or does not need donations from members to support it's existence. If this is member driven like NPR then tell everyone. Run a pledge drive. Make it so that the rules are known to EVERYONE. If it's not, then don't randomly pick on someone with an arbitrary number of posts and say that they should donate.

In short: The OP's post was distasteful and should not be defended. The end does not justify the means.

The number of posts signifys the amount of time one hangs on a site...i consider forums a form of entertainment and those with high post counts obviously get some sort of entertainment from being here....entertainment here is free, but one should consider the financial strength of the site remains so one can continue to enjoy, well entertainment. I do disagree with the “set amount” indicated in the forum, but I don’t make the rules up here...comparing a forum to NPR’s millions of viewers isn’t apples to apples my any means.

Just look how much entertainment this thread created.:D

If this is member driven like NPR then tell everyone. Run a pledge drive.
OMG! Please don't. :wink:

I can see it now. I log on and have to watch a 30-second spot by someone with site recognition to the higher posters, say PiFi, reminding me that I wouldn't have to watch him if I would just go red. No thanks.

Full disclosure. I went red just after one of my "I've had it with this place and I'm not posting anymore." tantrums. I was lurking for quite a while and started feeling guilty that I was using the site for information and PM'ing for buying, selling, and chatting with friends. Again, personal decision that was in no way pushed.

This site has an easy-breezy approach to people who they know are using the resource without putting anything into it. You don't find that approach all that often IRL. One can add by posting or contributing if one so chooses...

True to my word, today is pay day and I went red. Thanks for all you do for the diving community around the world.

True to my word, today is pay day and I went red. Thanks for all you do for the diving community around the world.
I wish I could give 10 likes!

Back
Top Bottom