100m air dive & workup, PG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are we sure that slow descents reduce narcosis, or are they simply allowing the mind to learn to ignore it with the extra time?

Hell the BOTTOM times are so short here the descent lasts longer, nevermind the deco.

I guess if you're going to waste time and gas you might as well do it on the cheap stuff.

I guess if you're going to waste time and gas you might as well do it on the cheap stuff

The only person wasting time & gas around here is you

The only person wasting time & gas around here is you

Actually I am sure more people than just them have wasted time in this thread :wink:. Enjoy Truk when you get there. Do you really not dive your local waters? I'd gladly swap waters so I could dive Australia.

I live in Shanghai now, there's not really any local diving :( But when I was in Melbourne I used to do a little local diving around this time of year (summer). There are some great sites, the HMAS Canberra, the subs, Lonsdale Wall/Arches... but the highest water temp you'll get is maybe 21 & it takes all day to do 1 or 2 dives. From here I can fly to the Philippines in 3 hours, get out of bed 20 minutes before the dive & wear a shorty all day :)

:hm:

Within a 3 hour flight I can reach water that does not freeze......but inside that 3 hour zone, the only "shorty warm" water you will find is bathwater. I cannot fault your choice of dive locations, only envy. Carry on and good diving to you.

I live in Shanghai now, there's not really any local diving :( But when I was in Melbourne I used to do a little local diving around this time of year (summer). There are some great sites, the HMAS Canberra, the subs, Lonsdale Wall/Arches... but the highest water temp you'll get is maybe 21 & it takes all day to do 1 or 2 dives. From here I can fly to the Philippines in 3 hours, get out of bed 20 minutes before the dive & wear a shorty all day :)

I've decided on the Rebreather/Trimix path for extended range diving. When discussing air for extended range with friends who have done it, pretty much the consensus I have heard is yes you can do it, but don't. Feedback is that if faced with a situation where additional task loading is added, you are compromised...

So similar to the earlier post - you can drive 100 Mph and get away with it. But you can also drive 100 Mph on a closed track in a vehicle with roll cage while wearing a 5 point harness, neck brace, and helmet - For me, it's about mitigating risk while diving, not taking risk while diving... I'm the diver wearing the crash helmet.

Thanks for sharing.

Dwayne

Last edited:
I've decided on the Rebreather/Trimix path for extended range diving. When discussing air for extended range with friends who have done it, pretty much the consensus I have heard is yes you can do it, but don't. Feedback is that if faced with a situation where additional task loading is added, you are compromised...

I wouldn't disagree with that; I only dive deep air in relatively benign environments - warm, open water with good viz & (generally) mild current, non-overhead & short bottom times. As I've said before if I was doing wreck, cave or cold water/low viz then my max depth for air would certainly be lower

Having said that, trimix isn't a silver bullet, and rebreather adds it's own complexities

Tortuga:

Thank you for posting your trip report. I learned much and I appreciate that you put it up even though you knew some complete wankers would criticize your choices.

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom