100m air dive & workup, PG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What's next? Thinking of a look at the Princess of the Orient at 115m sometime in the future? (On trimix, this time?)

The helium bill for a 100m dive will be horrendous.

It aint cheap but its a far far safer and more enjoyable way to do it.

You'd likely be on 3 stages switching at 40m so helium/backgas usage isn't going to be ridiculous. Its a hypoxic mix so you'd HAVE to start on travel gas. Id stay on 32/25 or something until hitting 40m on the way down then switch.

Realistically if you're doing that sort of diving and want a sensible bottom time then its CCR territory otherwise the gas cost and quantities get ridiculous.

What's next? Thinking of a look at the Princess of the Orient at 115m sometime in the future? (On trimix, this time?)

That would be very cool, but it's beyond my current capabilities - and the idea of 3 hours of deco doesn't excite me too much!

I've been thinking about a wreck diving trip to Coron or Truk as the next adventure

That would be very cool, but it's beyond my current capabilities - and the idea of 3 hours of deco doesn't excite me too much!

I've been thinking about a wreck diving trip to Coron or Truk as the next adventure

What about a drysuit and doing some dives in Melbourne?? :D

I will probably do a trimix course sometime next year, so it will be interesting to go to the same sites and see the difference the gas makes - better or worse
Make sure you have another colleague to share the instructor's helium bill !!!
18/35 for one set of twin 11L would be around US$92.00($0.06 per litre for He).

It's only money

What about a drysuit and doing some dives in Melbourne?? :D

Hmm let me think about that... NO!!

But seriously... I will be back in Melbourne next month, Ben has been trying to get onto you about doing the J4/Canberra with Rusthunters or something like that

I just can't wait to dive 19 degree water again /sarc

But seriously... I will be back in Melbourne next month, Ben has been trying to get onto you about doing the J4/Canberra with Rusthunters or something like that

I just can't wait to dive 19 degree water again /sarc

Haha actually it was 18C last weekend and 14C when I was out diving in the middle of the Bass Strait (on the Tassie side of the border so that is probably why) :cold: Had to go back to my drysuit!

I have been away diving on my holidays so haven't been around to do boat dives locally! Did a couple of shore dives last week though. And also incredibly behind in emails now, so far that I have kind of given up and thinking of staring the new year afresh so thanks for the reminder about organising dives. J4/Canberra would be good or diving with Rusthunters :)

I've just thought of an analogy, that might make sense.

Ingrained and instinctive 'second nature' dive skills are like hardware.
Creative thought, improvisation and problem solving is like software.

Narcosis is like a computer virus. It affects the software, not the hardware.

<engineer hat>
There are attack vectors that can affect the hardware generally by hitting the firmware.
</engineer hat>

Andy,

Thanks for sharing your detailed thoughts. I haven&#8217;t been ignoring them, just needed to find some time to compose a reply that was commensurate with the effort you put into your posts.

There&#8217;s no need for laboured analogies about computers, alcohol or anything else, I believe I understand your viewpoint both from this thread and others; that while skills can (and should) be practiced repetitively to become reflexive, & that symptoms can be reduced or eliminated through repeated exposure & training, the ability to exhibit the required degree of original or lateral thought in some circumstances is irredeemably compromised (feel free to correct me if that&#8217;s not an accurate summation of your opinion).

I felt the same way as you do&#8230; I think you are confusing symptoms with cause

Part of the problem with this exchange is that you are making assumptions about my &#8216;feelings&#8217; on the subject of narcosis & narcosis management - so let my try to address that by explaining what they actually are.

IMO narcosis can be divided into three components:

Cause - Nitrogen & other gasses entering the bloodstream and tissues under high partial pressures

Effect - Deterioration of mental ability

Symptoms &#8211; May include one or more of euphoria, anxiety, auditory & visual hallucinations etc etc

The point is not to list all the possible effects or symptoms, similarly the titles are somewhat arbitrary and for the purposes of this discussion rather than scientific or medical accuracy. These are also my own musings based on personal and anecdotal experience and therefore should not be taken or used by anyone as hard and fast rules.

Having given my definition of narcosis, what I mean when I talk about &#8216;managing&#8217; it is limiting its impact on safe & enjoyable diving. That doesn&#8217;t have to mean reducing the effect (qv), the dive can be safer & more fun just by reducing the symptoms.

&#8230;a diver can be unknowingly narc'd to hell and totally incapable of responding effectively to any novel circumstances that force them to attempt to utilise skills or problem solving that is not 'second nature'.

I don&#8217;t necessarily agree that a diver that is experienced & trained in the conditions they are diving in can be narc&#8217;d to hell and not know it. I think one benefit that experience can give you is an indication of how badly your mental capacity has deteriorated, regardless of the presence or lack of symptoms. As String says,

People who go "ive never been narked" worry me more than people who admit to being narked. The latter group is aware they're impaired and adjusts their procedures accordingly

Rather than banging on any more about what I think, I want to use another of String&#8217;s comments as a further thought-starter:

To me narcosis biggest factor is the descent rate. A fast descent i get hit far worse than a slow descent

I&#8217;m not sure what is meant by &#8220;hit far worse&#8221; &#8211; symptoms, effect or both &#8211; but if we agree that some practices (eg fast descent) cause narcosis to be worse, then conversely there are practices that can reduce narcosis (eg slow descent). Ergo &#8216;managing narcosis&#8217; is a reality.

Are we sure that slow descents reduce narcosis, or are they simply allowing the mind to learn to ignore it with the extra time?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom