100m "Dive" watches???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just a question - I know that a watch rated for Scuba is suppossed to be 200m water resistent, but then I look at the Suunto Dive computers and they are rated at 100m. Is there a different scale in use? Reason I'm asking is that I am in need of a new watch and was given a gift certificate for a local store that sells quite a few, but none are rated past 100m - My last one was a Walmart "special" and I could do that again, but this would be a "free" watch.

Have the "legal" standards changed recently or is this shop just very limited in it's selection? (If memory serves me right I've come across a couple Casios that used to be 200m rated that are now listed at 100m)

Any thoughts?

Tim

The Sunto rating is usually the depth that the unit will provide decompression information. The unit will often operate as a depth guage to greater depths than that. The 200 m water resistant rating of a watch means that the model during testing has withstood that pressure. The one you buy has not been tested in that manner (typically)

I guess the real question is what depths are you planning to dive to? If you are going to be exceeding 100m then you need special guages anyway. :)

I believe the rating are done in a different manner. I took this up once with Citizen and Seiko and they told me that a watch rated at 100m is not suitable for diving since this is a static measurement and not dynamic. Apparently if you are at 40m and do a rapid arm swing you can subject the seals momentarily to more than 100m pressure. You can achieve the same effect just diving in from a high board.
Computers are really designed to be used at the rated depth.

I use a Citizen Aqualand and it is rated to 200m, hopefully I will never find out if that rating is true. There are also some exotics such as Rolex, Tag-Huer, Omega and Doxa that are rated well in excess of 300m, including the Sea-Dweller 4000, which is guaranteed water proof to a depth of 1220m...why I don't know?

Keep in mind that 100m is over 300 feet deep.
You really going to be diving that deep?
If my watch craps out at 200m I don't think I'll be around to use it, much less argue the warranty issue.
Keep a sharp lookout for the depth guarantee, many watches now state the max depth in BAR's and not meters or feet.

I have both a Sea-Dweller and a Timex Ironman (200m), I dive with the Timex, the
Dweller (or anything past 300') is jewlery.
Craig.

the Sea-Dweller 4000, which is guaranteed water proof to a depth of 1220m...why I don't know?

About $5,000 to go 4,000 feet down. The rich fool that buys this will never get in the water.

Why do you need a watch waterproof to 1220m...
Read and learn (source unknown - I only had a xerox copy)

In the early 1970's, Rolex supplied Submariner watches for divers working for Comex (Compagnie Maritime d'Expertise), a French company, working out of Marseilles, which specialized in deep diving using pressure chambers. Problems arose when the watches experienced a build up of helium gas from the pressure of the undersea environment. When the pressure chambers were decompressed, the helium could not escape from the innards of the case fast enough, and often times blew the crystal out of the case. An occupational hazard in the cramped confines of the Pressure Chambers.

Comex approached Rolex with a possible solution to this problem by modifying the Submariner case with a helium escape valve on the side of the watch. This proved to be effective for these types of dives, and Rolex decided to make a production version of this watch with the helium valve. This watch was launched as the "Sea-Dweller' in 1971.

As you may already know, the Sea-Dweller is designed to be used in an underwater habitat that has a mixed atmosphere of helium and oxygen. This permits the concentration of oxygen to have a normal partial pressure without the nitrogen which is the major gas found in air along with oxygen. If normal air were used in a deep sea habitat, the pressurized concentration of nitrogen would cause nitrogen narcosis (very undesirable).

With helium replacing the nitrogen, many dive problems are solved, but some others are created. Because the helium molecule is so small (atomic weight: 1; atomic number: 1 - remember?), helium can easily infiltrate through the crystal and O rings of the Submariner or Sea Dweller. Since the heli-ox mixture in the under sea habitat will be so much greater than that of the surface atmospheric pressure, the accumulated helium pressure inside a Submariner would be so great, that on surfacing the waterproof integrity could fail since there is no way for the Submariner to release the gas inside the case in order to equalize with the decreased pressure of the water near the surface. Naturally the crystal is the weakest component of the watch movement's case. As a helium filled toy balloon rises to greater altitudes it encounters lower atmospheric pressure so that the pressure differential inside the balloon becomes so much greater that the atmosphere around it that it expands. The same principle is at play in the ocean except that the effect is greatly exaggerated (water weighs so much more than air). now the helium that was pressurized in the watch at a great depth may be equal to several atmospheres, but as it rises to the surface, unlike with the balloon, there is no place for it to expand. Therefore the gas pushes outward with tremendous pressure. As mentioned above the case is much stronger than the watch crystal and eventually something must give way.

With the Sea Dweller ROLEX has solved this problem by using a one way valve (pressure relief valve). If you are not going to live in an under sea habitat with marine biologists or geologists, then you don't need the sea dweller. Essentially it is the Submariner with a relief valve and designed to take the pressure at a depth of 4000 feet rather than the lesser depths of the Submariner. For any other purpose, the Submariner is just as good as the Sea Dweller and of the same quality.

So now you know :crafty:

miketsp:
Why do you need a watch waterproof to 1220m...
Read and learn (source unknown - I only had a xerox copy)

With helium replacing the nitrogen, many dive problems are solved, but some others are created. Because the helium molecule is so small (atomic weight: 1; atomic number: 1 - remember?), helium can easily infiltrate through the crystal and O rings of the Submariner or Sea Dweller. So now you know :crafty:

Just a minor point of clairification: Helium is actually very small but the atomic number is 2 and the atomic weight is roughly 4 (two protons and two neutrons) and is also inert. Replacing nitrogen with what you described with atomic number 1 would be Hydrogen...combining that with oxygen is something that NASA, not NAUI, does very well...it is called "Rocket Fuel"...not exactly what I want to have strapped to my back when diving or living under the water.

Otherwise, a very excellent explanation for the creation of such a "special" watch. :eyebrow:

If you don't plan on diving below 300' then I wouldn't worry too much about it, if you see a watch you like get it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom