109 BA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A nick in the orifice is a problem but it should only cause a fairly small leak. I suggest you adjust your 109 with the cover stuff removed and see what lever height looks like. It should just be a little bit above the edge of the case.

I am not sure what you are calling a "lever problem". Was performance OK with the duro poppet

Last edited by a moderator:
The two diaphragm styles I have are completely different and almost certainly not interchangeable. Tomorrow I'll try to post a photo if I have time. Basically, the diaphragm that works with the cover on the left is concave, not convex, with a large flat spot in the middle that is roughly equal to the edge of the case in height. Hence the big 'ridges' on the interior side of the rubber cover.

My guess is that you will need a new rubber cover (which vintagedoublehose has) if both your diaphragms are the 'normal' convex 109/G250 diaphragms. You may also need a new diaphragm. Guess who has one for sale?

Post a photo of your two diaphragms and the two reg cases with the levers installed so we can see the lever height if possible.

IMG_0207.JPG
IMG_0206.JPG
IMG_0205.JPG

Rubber covers are reversed..... With your issues, I'd check that the orifices are also switched (or wrong). There is a shorter one I've documented in other threads. S-Wing can be tricky as an upgrade, and there is much discussion around here regarding that regarding levers. I assume you also changed the spring with upgrading to the S-wing? That 109 lever is at the wrong height, it's too low. You sure you have it in correctly, and the feet of the lever engaged correct? If it is upside down, issues similar to this happen...

First things, first. As my friend from NY mentioned in #14 the covers are reversed; so begin there. The lever height may or may not be correct, we don't know the position of the orifice, but as RH points out, it looks low. The Master, Awap, points out that a small defect in the orifice will cause a slight leak-true, but fix that too before continuing. Next, the lever itself may have an issue, but sort out the other problems first. See Levers levers everywhere... for more info. I'll try to dig up an old picture depicting lever angles.

Edit: Here it is, but it's of no consequence as it only shows the angles of 3 different types of levers rather than the correct lever angle.
full

I think Halocline has a diaphragm for sale, I might have one if he doesn't. I also have a "curly foot" lever if needed.

One last thing; the duro poppet uses the same spring as the non-balanced 109, so make sure you have the correct spring.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Last edited:
So since we have the experts in one place.. I have an old G-250 that probably has not been served in a while. It breathes OK, but I am probably not too picky. I have the orifice set for a tiny leak or free flow when the knob is backed off completely. So for diving, in needs to be turned in about 1/2 or 3/4 turn.

One of the very high tech methods I have used to assemble these parts is that I blow on the intake piece of the second stage and if I can blow any air, then the orifice is definitely too loose and i tighten it a little - then try with hooking it up to a hose and maybe adjust some more.

Anyway, another test is to blow on the inlet pipe when I press the lever down.. obviously it should open and allow air into the reg. Currently, with the cover on, when I press the purge down completely, the reg lets no air in, when I am blowing on it.. when I hook it to a hose, and I completely press the purge is will purge the reg, but kinda slowly.. the seat/orifice is also adjusted so that the lever arm is loose and flops around a little,,, Does all this just mean I need a new seat?

I have been diving with the reg to 130 and it works OK, sometimes it has been making a little squeak sound, but I shot some silicone spray in there and I hope that fixed that issue. Thanks.. I'm a little embarrassed to admit how superficial my understand of this stuff is.

one method in verification is the "shake". If it rattles, it's not set correctly....

I also adjust for a slight leak with the knob fully open and use lung pressure to make initial seat contact. I like to do a full tuning with the cover removed. When I add the cover, expect to do just a little additional tuning if all is well.

It sounds to me like your legs height is not correct but I will have to open some of my Has to take a look. I do not believe the seat can be the cause of the symptom you describe. A manual purged should be quite strong.

I would not use spray as the carrier solvent may damage soft parts. I have been know to feed a dab of Christophe through the inlet of my pilot with good results.

Thanks.. I hopefully have food grade silicone..

The feedback that this is not normal wear, motivated me to take it apart. Thanks!

Well I played with it and I think I may not have had the nut which locks the air barrel into the case (from side to side) fully tight. I suspect this may have somehow affected the lever arm?? In any case, I pulled the little black seat off and polished it on some fine sandpaper and the scoring indentation seems less visible.

Reassembled and there is much less play in the lever arm and the purge blasts air like it should.

Is there any cheap source for that black T-shaped (or mushroom) shaped seat. I should probably replace that, all else looks fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom