10yr old max dive per day

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With their smaller body mass a 10 year old will cool down quicker than an adult. True even in warm waters. Better to have them happy for the day than getting cold half way through a dive and wishing they had not done it.

Kids will sometimes let themselves get chilled so the adults have to watch out for them. One of the things they caution about in teaching/leading kids.

Kids will sometimes let themselves get chilled so the adults have to watch out for them. One of the things they caution about in teaching/leading kids.

Very true. 5mil full suit for him was recommended by the dive master. Thanks for the input.

I would be curious as to how DAN (Divers Alert Network) would answer this question. Check them out and see what they say. By the way if you don't have DAN family coverage I would highly recommend it. To me it is the best money spent in my diving. This is a good question for the dive community.

The kids, if in good shape, should off-gas much faster than most adults....the VO2 max should be higher, and particularly with 40 foot dives, they should get clean of Nitrogen very quickly.....the issue in the bones is worth looking into, even if the kids do have the advantage in off-gassing.

As another poster mentioned, the kids getting colder than the adults will impact the blood flow if they are shivering, etc...
Should be a great topic for Alert Diver !

I would limit it to a max of 3 dives. However during the coarse of the week there were probably a few days which I would only do 2 dives.

With their smaller body mass a 10 year old will cool down quicker than an adult. True even in warm waters. Better to have them happy for the day than getting cold half way through a dive and wishing they had not done it.

Sort of on the same subject. As parent of a young diver it is imperative they have gear that fits, maybe even more so than adults. I have now outfitted my kid with gear because of a bad experience we had when she first started diving.

We were going to Catalina Island for the day as a family and decided since my oldest daughter and I dive it would be a great opportunity. She and I would go diving, wife and other two kids would go explore the island themselves. I booked a DM to guide us because this would have been her first dive after certification. The scuba shop I used repeatedly told me they had gear for kids and they would be able to fit her with a full set wetsuit, fins, mask, etc.

When we arrived about the only piece of gear that fit or was appropriate was the wetsuit. They didn't have hood, gloves, or booties and put her in a full foot fin without booties. In hind sight I should have thought it out and at least had gloves and booties since those are required for my OW certification in California (she certified in the Caribbean while on vacation). Meanwhile, the DM was in a dry suit and I had my 7mm with my own hood, gloves, and booties. Poor kid got so cold after 30 minutes she was almost shaking when we finished. After about a 1 hour surface interval it was time to get back for the second dive. I took one look at her face and saw the apprehension about getting back in the cold water. I decided to thumb the second dive. Wasn't going to be worth the dive if she was going to not enjoy it because of the cold.

Upon getting back home I scoured the internet for sales and now she has mask, fin, gloves, hood, booties, wetsuit, and BC. She will be getting my computer when I get a new one and we still rent the regs for now. Her comfort level and enjoyment has increased with her own gear. I did have to replace the first wetsuit this Christmas since she has grown. New one fits much better and no longer chokes her in the neck. Best part is she now wants to try it out which means I get another chance to get in the water!

Sort of on the same subject. As parent of a young diver it is imperative they have gear that fits, maybe even more so than adults. I have now outfitted my kid with gear because of a bad experience we had when she first started diving.

Freewillie,

I am on board with you. My son was doing his pool session and was in an ok fit BC with weight belt in day one. Second day we went to a different BC that fits better with integrated weight. I can see the difference in his comfort and confidence (part of it of course is due to his instructor and time in water).

Equipments can't make you a good diver, but learning is more effective when the equipments are of good quality and fit well. During travel, who knows if the rental gears will fit him well.

For this reason, I will get him his own BC and wetsuit as first purchases (he already has the personal gear: mask fin snorkel booties)

Austincreek -Im not doing "my thinbgee is bigger n your thingee". Im dad to four qualified divers and one bustin his gut to be qualified diver.-all JOW or as they age now OW divers. What Ive found is that first day they are good to go for two dives. second --maybee two. after that they really just can't be bothered with more than one a day.-this is during a holiday. -so basicly they kinda regulate things themselves
I do agree that reasonably well fitting gear is important.One thing often forgotten is kids have (go figure) smaller mouths than adults.A small regulator mouthpiece costs about $5.00 but it makes life so much nicer. In my experience for kids the atlantis icon BCD is one that does good kids sizing and at a price that isn't eye watering.-Ive found the xxs fits a skinny girl,a stocky 10 year old and a 14 year old of average height.--He's almost outgrown it.
Fins wise I learned that smaller is better-big fins can overpower their legs

so i guess the best answer to the OP's question is anywhere from 1-5 dives per day -- assuming adequate surface intervals. The key is monitoring/judging the kid's fatigue & how chilled. but that part is normal parenting :wink: if it's an older teen (15/16+) i'd say they have better judgement for fatigue/temp but not for hazard levels since so many think they are invincible. depending on current size - a BP/W is something that can grow with them, not to mention travel easier than some BCDs.

Ditto on the mouthpiece -- check out your local shop for a good mouthpiece - maybe a seacure etc.. and invest in a bag of zipties -- most places that rent won't give you any hassle about wanting to use your own mouthpiece - esp if you hand them a replacement ziptie for the one you're making them cut off (as well as the one you're going to use to attach yours)

I would be curious as to how DAN (Divers Alert Network) would answer this question. Check them out and see what they say. By the way if you don't have DAN family coverage I would highly recommend it. To me it is the best money spent in my diving. This is a good question for the dive community.

I contacted DAN and here is their reply:

" Thank you for emailing DAN Medical Services.

There is currently no scientific evidence available as to whether there is a maximum number of dives in a day a child should make or a minimum surface interval. Parental decisions on that should be guided on how the child is doing, thermal/temperature comfort and other such factors. Some of the various dive training organizations might each have varying policies regarding depths, times and other factors which divemasters and instructor might be required to follow.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any other questions or concerns."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom