120's??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robbcayman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Why don't more people dive 120's? Is the amount of air quite a bit more significant over say an aluminum 80? I'm curios as to how much more time down a 120 gives over an 80. I realize this is a hard question since depths and air rates affect this, but just a ball park would be nice. I'm just trying to determine if I'm going to use th 120 on my next dive trip.

I don't know why more people don't dive the 130.

I tried a 120 - way too long for me (I'm 5'8", and it wasn't comfortable.) A 130 is perfect. There isn't a dive I've taken it on that I've regretted. No hill is worth a smaller tank. Its all about the BT, and the 130 is the tank that works for me.

They are slowly making their way through the SoCal ranks, and I couldn't be more pleased.

---
Ken

120 cu ft air versus 80 cu ft of air. That's 50% more air. So i guess you could increase your bottom time by 50%.

robbcayman:
Why don't more people dive 120's? Is the amount of air quite a bit more significant over say an aluminum 80? I'm curios as to how much more time down a 120 gives over an 80. I realize this is a hard question since depths and air rates affect this, but just a ball park would be nice. I'm just trying to determine if I'm going to use th 120 on my next dive trip.

Cost, weight, and need come to mind. A 120 has more air obviously. If people find an 80 is limiting their time at depth then a larger tank would help address that problem.

--Matt

If you're severely air-limited, the 120 might be nice. If, on the other hand, you're hitting up against NDLs on AL80s, there's not much reason to go larger unless you're going to start doing deco. (That's a simplification, but it's the gist of it.)

HP 100's for my doubles and HP 119's for singles. Only use Al 80's for slings or warm water diving

Like Matt said, Cost and weight. That and the average "rental tank" used for certification, rentals, caribbean or vacation trips is the Aluminum 80. Mostly in those cases for cost more than weight.

An AL 80 costs $120 to $165 and weights about 31 pounds

A High Pressure 120 costs $260 to $370 and weighs 38 to 45 pounds depending on manufacturer
Low Pressure 120's cost about the same, maybe less, but weigh up to 48 pounds (+/-)

But here's another reason. Why go buy a 120 if you've got good air consumption and all your dive buddies are diving with AL80's? You don't need the extra tank space in that case.

The way I see it if a single 130 is good, double 130's must be even better!

mike_s:
But here's another reason. Why go buy a 120 if you've got good air consumption and all your dive buddies are diving with AL80's? You don't need the extra tank space in that case.

The extra weight in a steel tank comes in handy when diving a drysuit. Not too many people use Al 80's out here in Ca. Even on the charters. I had 8 Al 80's at one time. Still have have them but they are all sling bottles now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom