13 ft Boston Whaler

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Try under the Golden Gate Bridge, which is known to being some of the most challenging sailing in the world. On an average day it is 5ft confused chop with rips and eddys going every which way. Pretty much every day it blows 24 knots under the gate. That is not even mentioning the Potato Patch with rogue waves, known to roll many boats, including a 40' sailboat. Even rolled the 40' CG Motor Life boat towing the sailboat back in. Happened to one of the other club members in the St. Francis Yacht Club. Growing up the yacht was kept in Marina Green (Fort Mason) and my friend and I used to cross the GGB and go sailing quite regularly. If conditions allowed us we headed straight for the ocean. Often in a 10 meter heavy keeled sailboat we just couldn't do it, without taking a beating.

Really though, we know nothing about big waves, driven by wind, and confused by mixed swells. The photo below was a small 16 footer which was just a little above the average wave of the day. I have seen the recorded 34' swells and those were impressive.
71774d1265649665-sunday-february-21st-sfo-monterey-gerstle-waves.jpg

Now back to 3 foot chop with short intervals, like we get on the Sacramento Delta and our local lakes.

Back
Top Bottom