133 for doubles? how common is it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was looking at the specs for each tank for my first set of doubles. In my area, HP 100s seem to be the tank of choice for most people I have seen. I have seen a few other set-ups but I was wondering are 133s too bulky for doubles? From the looks of it, they offer superior buoyancy characteristics (-10 negative when full and + 1.45 when empty as opposed to HP 100s -8.5 full and neutral when empty). Length wise they are two inches shorter than 120s. and an inch taller than 100s. I was concerned that being 5.10 inches in height myself, a longer tank like 120 will compromise my trim and make me bottom heavy. 133 with its wide diameter seems to be more suited for keeping the tank bulk higher on the back it seems. The additional gas it gives is a huge plus. It is however 9 lbs heavier than HP100 and in doubles that means 18 lbs more weight to lug around. I was told that it is one of the most hated tanks in doubles configuration because of its weight and getting back on the boat after the dive is a Power-lifting workout! It also bends Aluminum plates due to its weight so people who use this use steel plates instead which adds more unnecessary weight to the rig.

If anyone has used it for doubles, I would like to know its practicality. Thanks.

Cheers -

CS

the DSS Kydex plates will support the double 130's, did it with PST 130's which are even heavier than the fabers. PST 104's were the cave diving tanks of choice and realistically still are for doubles and the 104's were even heaver than the 130's. If you need the gas, you need the gas, and the Fabers are much easier to handle than the PST's

the DSS Kydex plates will support the double 130's, did it with PST 130's which are even heavier than the fabers. PST 104's were the cave diving tanks of choice and realistically still are for doubles and the 104's were even heaver than the 130's. If you need the gas, you need the gas, and the Fabers are much easier to handle than the PST's

At this point, I wont need all that gas specially for the first dive but for the same price, I would not mind the extra gas if it is not a compromise elsewhere. I was on a rec charter where this one guy was doing single tank diving with 133. He did his two dives without having to change the tank.

I have three sets for sale right now, they are common as doubles both here in the great lakes and down in cave country.

Why not save your back and go with something like HP100s or LP85(whichever trim out better for you) and add an Al80 stage when you need the extra gas?

I dive double 119s, they are 8 inches wide and fairly short. I have two sets and I really like them. They trim out very nicely for tall and short divers. Yeah, more gas is always better, but given how heavy the 119s are, even more weight sounds like a deal breaker.

I've got a set of worthington 3442 130s, which I imagine are pretty much the same as what you're talking about. They're good, but I don't take them on OW dives.

Imo hp100s are better tanks for OW unless going past 220 or so.

Have you considered 117's? Similar to 133's except they're a bit shorter (still 8" diameter).I have a pair and love them, but I don't use them in doubles so I can't give you any input on how they are in that configuration.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom