14 hours between diving and flying

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rnw7

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have a morning flight 14 hours after a 2 tank dive. I know that the minimum wait time is 18 hours but the employers of the dive shop says its usually okay to fly 4-8 hours. And considering the PADI dive table says it takes about 6 hours to go from pressure group Z to A so logically i should be fine in 14 hours. I was wondering if anyone can offer opinions or experiences before I cancel my dive.

... considering that the PADI dive tables has a written and specific "flying after diving recommendations", I wouldn't consider the 6 hour washout as implying differently.

As for the 4 hours flying after repetitive diving... I would not. If the employees suggest that I hope they have some good liability insurance.

In the end, you, as the diver are ultimately responsible for yourself.

You should look at the DAN web site, such as this FAQ and THIs article, as many people consider DAN the best authority on dive-related medical issues. As you can see, DAN's recommendation is that 12 hours is a reasonable minimum interval for flying aftger a day in which the diver did a single recreational dive, but that 18 hours is safer if the diver has been doing repetitive diving or diving over multiple days. There is not enough data for researchers to provide a pinpoint-accuracy recommendation as to exactly how long a diver needs to wait before flying. Rather, it is a calculated risk that each diver must assess for himself.

Bottom line is that nobody knows for sure, but the 18-hour interval that most of us adhere to seems to keep most of us from getting bent. Note the emphasis on "most." I recall a thread not too many months ago in which somebody reported getting bent after a flight even though he followed this 18-hour recommendation. Decompression involves statistical risk, and every individual instance is different because our bodies are different, our dive profiles are different, and perhaps other factors that science doesn't even know about.

Flying after diving has been discussed in many threads, and you could do a search to read some others.

I may be overly conservative but at 54 yrs old I don't want to take chances. I'll stick with my 24 hour rule after multiple dives and use that last day to clean and dry gear, relax, and maybe go buy some souvenirs for people. Any dive shop saying that 4-8 hours after multiple dives is one I want to stay the hell away from. That just sounds like greed talking.

It the interval is not at least 24 hours I personally would not even consider it.
AND I would not dive with an operator that said you would be ok after 4-8 hours.... I mean duh!

I'm with Deputy Dan. If a dive centre told me it was OK to fly within as little as 4 hours of a 2 tank trip, that'd be a big red flag not to dive with them anyway! If they think that's OK, who knows what other corners they are prepared to cut to get customers on their trips. So I think its just as well you're cancelling it!

That depends on how deep and for how long the dives are. If I am going to do 2 dives to 12m for example I would fly in 12 hours no problem. If I do 2 deep dives close to ndl times I would not.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

I think I'm gonna have to cancel it :(
This is a very wise decision :luxhello:, you could of course do the first dive and only cancel the second.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom