16 and scubadiving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaCollin

Reaction score
I was just wondering if it was odd for someone of my age to be scuba diving, and if there are others. Im the youngest in my diving course, and i hate diving with old buggers (lol jk) I just think id have a better time diving with someone my age.

Also it would be cool if you guys could post your diving stories. I cant wait for my open water dive. Were diving a downed sea plane and a ship reck. :D

It's not odd at all, I wish that I had gotten into diving when I was 16.

Alright, just asking. Because id hate to be treated with less repect due to my age

Even more so when im diving.

Both of my kids dive and they are 14 & 16.

When my husband and I did our open water class, there were 4 Boy Scouts all between 15 and 17 years old in the class. They were getting certified to go to Sea Base.

When I miscommunicated one weekend and ended up at the lake without a buddy, I was able to dive with the son of instructor from another dive shop. He was about 15.

After you are certified, and get out diving more, you'll find more divers your age.

Relax and have fun!

Julie

My son is 14 and has been diving for a few months...He loves it.

We have gone on a 3-day liveabord trip to the channel islands during which he made 13 dives.

Welcome to the board ScubaCollin. I started diving when I was 16. I had some older buddies that were into it and I got into it as well. I am glad I started when I did, especially when I think about all the stuff I would have missed otherwise.:D Hang in there, and you'll find some buddies around your age, but it's not really necessary. Besides, if someone wants to go on the basis of age you could do what I used to do. Tell them that you are younger, faster and more apt at learning (statistically) also toss in there that you have your whole life ahead of you to dive while they do not. A little on the harsh side I know but it drives the point home.:wink: After something like that to humble them out a little bit I more often than not was treated alot better. You will have no regrets as to how early you started, especially when you get older.

Good luck on the OW dives.:D

Oh I think i'll have a blast on the ow dives.
I dont feel too bad though im the best swimmer and fastest swimmer our of my whole class :wink: :D

Its gonna be nice when i move to the keys though. Much better diving then here in Canada lol

Hey,
i'm 16 with my AOW, and almost 50 dives. (i know not many, but give me time) i got my Jr. OW last july right before my 15th bday. your not alone, i know that there are a few people here that are around this age. have fun making bubbles.:) :D

You know, sharing a common passion brings very different people together. IMHO, age or gender doesn't really matter when it comes to diving, as long as the divers are compatible UW. I have made many friends from very different circles. If it weren't for diving, I probably would never have met them.

As to the "old buggers", they're generally the guys from whom you'll learn the most...

WTF? "Humble them out"???

OK, it's like this... a 16-year old kid has to EARN respect, JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE. And ESPECIALLY because he is young and inexperienced.

You'll really make yourself popular if you go around insulting other divers. You'd be better off to try to learn something from them.

Have you considered taking the higher road and not responding aggressively by trying to "humble" someone? Setting a classy example is a far better choice, IMO. That would earn MY respect.

Any other "old buggers" have any comments?????

SCORE ResQ once bubbled...
Welcome to the board ScubaCollin. I started diving when I was 16. I had some older buddies that were into it and I got into it as well. I am glad I started when I did, especially when I think about all the stuff I would have missed otherwise.:D Hang in there, and you'll find some buddies around your age, but it's not really necessary. Besides, if someone wants to go on the basis of age you could do what I used to do. Tell them that you are younger, faster and more apt at learning (statistically) also toss in there that you have your whole life ahead of you to dive while they do not. A little on the harsh side I know but it drives the point home.:wink: After something like that to humble them out a little bit I more often than not was treated alot better. You will have no regrets as to how early you started, especially when you get older.

Good luck on the OW dives.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom