18hr Flight Ban Valid After 5' Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agree with mkutyna...aerobic activity after diving has lead to an increase of DCS.

Prior to a dive ? ... does a half hour session on the treadmill/elliptical an hour or two before a dive put me at greater risk? or is it only After a dive?

From what I've read, exercise prior to a dive will also increase the risk but not as much as after a dive.

Time between exercise and diving is getting beyond my knowledge though. Perhaps we should ask in the Dr. Deco forum. IMHO, unless you've got a seriously cramped schedule in your life, what's wrong with adjusting it a bit so you aren't exercising the morning of a dive?

From what I've read, exercise prior to a dive will also increase the risk but not as much as after a dive.

Time between exercise and diving is getting beyond my knowledge though. Perhaps we should ask in the Dr. Deco forum. IMHO, unless you've got a seriously cramped schedule in your life, what's wrong with adjusting it a bit so you aren't exercising the morning of a dive?

***? yes exercise right after a dive is bad. especially after one close to a no-Deco limit or beyond.

Think about shaking your bottle of pop.... what happens inside.

I wasn't so concerned with him exercising after a pool dive but exercising after doing real dives in real locations. I've seen people in DM classes think it was okay to go play flag football after a full weekend of diving.

As with all things, it depends on what kind of dives you were doing. if you were doing dive less than say 20 feet, all weekend, I really would not worry too much.

Of course, I do 15, 10, and 5 foot hangs, followed by staying on the surface for 3 minutes, on my weekly 22 foot quarry dives. but I know that is practice, and not what push my limits to.

For those interested, look up M values and 1/2 times. This is how saturation is measured in the different tissues. The tissue loading at 10 ft is very minimal and the off gassing is very quick. I tried to find a table that this could be calculated on but it is unavailable because it is a non factor. You couldn't drive to the airport and get in the air fast enough to have a pool dive cause an issue.

For those interested, look up M values and 1/2 times. This is how saturation is measured in the different tissues. The tissue loading at 10 ft is very minimal and the off gassing is very quick. I tried to find a table that this could be calculated on but it is unavailable because it is a non factor. You couldn't drive to the airport and get in the air fast enough to have a pool dive cause an issue.

VPMB Decompression Model

Dive Plan

Nominal Conservatism, 2008-07-28 22:04:13
Units = FSW

--------------------------------------------
Dive #1
Descend to 10 for 0.2 (0.2) using 21/0/79
Level at 10 for 2879.8 (2880.0) using 21/0/79
Descend to 20 for 0.2 (2880.2) using 21/0/79
Level at 20 for 2879.8 (5760.0) using 21/0/79

OTU's this dive: 0
CNS this dive: 0%

21/0/79 usage : 6,681.6 Cubic Feet

yup not too worried

that it 48 hours at 10 fsw then 48 hours at 20 fsw

no deco.
no CNS

Dive computers and tables are based on theoretical models. Your physiology and dive profile will impact on those models in unknown ways. Prescriptions, ascent rate, hydration level, water temp, age, exercise, how fit you are, smoking, medical issues, stress, alcohol, sleep etc. can change things dramatically. It varies wildly from person to person. What works for others, may not work for you.

Aircraft pressurization also fluctuates depending on the aircrew. It is in no way constant from flight to flight.

If you want to "maximize your vacation" put as much time between the end of your last dive and getting on a plane as you can; regardless of depth or number of dives. If you think you are immune to DCS just because a certain amount of time has gone by you might be disappointed one day. The times quoted by the others are MINIMUM RECOMMENDATIONS. There is no system in your bloodstream that resets to normal one second after 11 : 59 : 59 on the clock. Waiting longer is added insurance.

The amount of time you wait before getting on an airplane is your responsibility. If you take a hit, it will be you in the chamber. Spending 5 hours in a 6 foot iron tube on 100% O2 might crimp your vacation plans a wee bit as well.

Dive smart. Dive safe. Have Current Dive Insurance.

Good luck...

Dive computers and tables are based on theoretical models. Your physiology and dive profile will impact on those models in unknown ways. Prescriptions, ascent rate, hydration level, water temp, age, exercise, how fit you are, smoking, medical issues, stress, alcohol, sleep etc. can change things dramatically. It varies wildly from person to person. What works for others, may not work for you.

The topic is flying after diving in a pool. Paaaaleese. Aircraft are pressurized to 8000'. Other than that your assessment is correct.

Bruce

Yet you are critical of people (like me) who recommended calling DAN. Doesn't make sense. If this board is full of good and bad advice how do you as a new diver sort it out when the posters can hide behind unchecked titles (maybe SB checks, I don't know) and anonymity? You call the professionals and in this case it would be DAN.

Personal opinion.... If you have never called DAN, you need to dive more... in most cases.

The only time I have called DAN was when a less experience buddy follow the DM's advice in HI and dove for 65 minutes at 85 feet with no hang. I called DAN even though she was not a member and they knew that, they called her.

I have nothing but Praise to say about calling DAN. Thankfully I have never had to use the insurance side, so I will not jinks that :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom