1k to spend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Although there are some great suggestions in here, with your budget some of them won't be in your price range ... Halcyon, for example, is on the high end of the price scale. Depending on your diving goals, you may not need top-line gear. And there are some newer companies out there selling quality altnernatives at lower prices ... Hollis and Hog/Edge for example.

Where you shop is also important if you're on a budget. Don't expect to just walk into your local dive shop and get the best price on scuba gear. Shop around. Look at what some of the reputable online stores are offering ... ScubaToys, Dive Right In, Divesports.com, etc. You can find out who the good ones are by perusing the Kudos forum ... and keep in mind that service is at least as important as sales. Once you purchase your gear you'll want to be dealing with someone who can help you maintain your investment.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Some where a little voice wispers Atomic Aquatics and Dive Rite..

An Atomic Z1 was recently sold on Ebay for $150, figure $100 to get it serviced. It is easy to buy a good Zeagle Ranger there for $250. Half way through your grand.

Suunto Cobra's are now going for around $250, mine had 4 dives on it for that price. $75 for an octo or alternate. That leaves $175 for and all the little bits of gear (retractors, slap strap, fin springs, small dive light, etc) that we seem to need.

Where what a Dive Shop Owner Wears... This is my set-up I travel the world with.

Cressi Aquapro 5R BCD - Comfortable great fitting jacket style with weight integration
Cressi MC9 Ellipse SC Regulator - Challenges any of the bigger names with better breathing
Cressi Ellipse Octo - a reliable alternate
Cressi MINI SPG - compact and dependable
Cressi Edy Wrist Dive Computer - wear it day and night, a computer the size of a watch
Total Package Price $1099.00
All New - All Warrantied

Take a look at Diver's Direct. Right now they have a deal that I believe is $799 and includes a very nice weight intergrated bcd, a regulator system including a nice computer...they are great at providing good quality equipment at a reasonable price. I don't work for a shop, but I am a instructor and I send alot of my students to my local shop because they are very friendly and I like the variety. It is my opinion that sometimes newer divers have trouble being comfortable in the back inflate bcds when on the surface. Good luck and if you are ever in our area come and dive with us, we'd love to have you. Ocean Quest Scuba

Although I am a fan of BP & Harnesses and back inflation BC's we do also offer economical packages.

Here is a full Oceanic setup Wght Int. BC, CDX5/GT3 Reg, Alpha 8 Octo, Veo Nitrox Computer
Only $749

Here is the link:

Oceanic Sport package *Buy at DIVESEEKERS.com 888-SCUBA-47

This DiveRite maybe a little bit more but you may feel that it's worth it. Choice of TransPac or Plate.

Dive Rite Transpac and Regulator Package ST5100 *Buy Dive Rite at DIVESEEKERS.com 888-SCUBA-47

We can mix and match items so there is a lot to choose from. Feel free to call and pick our brain and see what options we have. I will be in the shop Tomorrow & Sunday from 9am - 4pm.

Absolutly Give wayne a call he is a great guy and they run one the best dive shops in NJ. They know what there talking about. Give him a call and you will quickly understand why they are such a great dive shop

Thanks everyone! I pulled the trigger. I went with:

ATOMIC Z2X
MARES MV OCTO
VEO 100NX CONSOLE W/COMPASS
FROM MY LDS
$833.00
had to support local Savannah some.

scuba toys
Zeagel scout $ 214.00

thanks again!!!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back