1st Ocean dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MG11

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Is it fairly normal behavior for a dive op to say you must have a DM with you on your 1st ocean dive if you didn't ocean dive for OW cert.?

Mike

I'm recently certified, and your certification allows you to dive without a DM based on your certification and experience.
So, I can understand why they would require you to dive with a DM.

Experience....They then suggested with a DM I could go to a wreck 65'-134' deep!

If you don't feel comfortable then don't do it. I've only dove in the ocean but I did not grow up even close to the sea so it has all been a learning experience. If it is an area with little current and a hard bottom of 65 feet I'd say go for it. If it is a deep wreck with lots of current and you've got little faith in your buoyancy then I'd reconsider.

It's just the opposite, I feel totally confident to do the 35'-60' dives without a DM and didn't ask to do a deep dive at all and after basically saying I wasn't skilled enough to dive shallow without a DM they offer to let them take me on an advanced dive under supervision.

---------- Post added ----------

So now I'm thinking if I'm going to spend $50 on a DM for a 2 tank dive, I'll just add $160 and get AOW cert while on my dive vacation.

Mike

Sounds like a good plan!

Sounds like they just want to do that site, regardless of what your certification, comfort level, and experience entails.

Because it is your first ocean dive, it's smart to have a DM around to deal with any unexpected differences between ocean and fresh water, so good for making that decision. But a DM shouldn't try to push you beyond your comfort and experience level for your first ocean dive. Let them know your apprehensiveness and the reasons. If they don't offer alternatives, that would sound a little sketchy (and you're paying them extra).

The thing about DMs is that they vary so much in their competency, and there are so many. I've seen amazing DMs, and I've seen DMs that are just too reckless. I've had a DM try to convince me to go into the water with equipment that wasn't working properly. You've just got to be wary.

A lot of people do their AOW right after their OW in PADI. I'd probably recommend more ocean dives before doing another course, though, just for the experience and to increase your comfort with the ocean.

Where are you diving your first ocean dive? If it is a popular dive destination there are probably other operations that would dive places you are comfortable with. Diving your first dive with a DM is not a bad idea. On my first dive there was a little surge. Looking back on that experience, the surge wasn't all that bad but it was my first experience and the DM helped me with how to handle that experience. Plus the DM can point out sites that you may miss otherwise. Enjoy.

So now I'm thinking if I'm going to spend $50 on a DM for a 2 tank dive, I'll just add $160 and get AOW cert while on my dive vacation.

Mike

Me thinks that was their plan. :wink:

Dive operations vary in their requirements. I won't say it's fair, but it is so. Just another reason to log your dives, keep your dive log current, and carry it on trips. For the record, charging a certified diver extra for a DM on a boat excursion is generally, in my opinion, bogus. But I'm not in charge.
DivemasterDennis

Back
Top Bottom