1st stage locked on tank valve (dumbest thing I've done in a while)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If all else fails you can twist the yoke on your first stage to break the O-ring seal between the valve and first stage. The oring will fly off but shouldn't go to far.

The boat captain did this to me in the Philippines once. I had 800psi at the time.
I was sitting on the deck unclipping myself from my BC when I heard a big blast right behind my head. The boat captain wasn't a diver and didn't know I had to purge my reg first. Sometimes you can be a little too helpful.
The O-ring landed right by my tush.

Edit:
nvm, guess you got it settled. :D

Thanks for posting this. We've all learned something. (& we've all done out share of boneheaded stunts, too.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jax
I'm picturing the goggles, chest protector, ear muffs, nomex gloves, and put the mattress against the window..... :D

Ha! wow...that was anticlimactic.

I won't embarrass myself further by disclosing all the precautions I took...but mouse fart pretty much described the results.

QUOTE]

:rofl3:

I suppose that the .002 cubic feet of compressed air inside the 1st stage did not store a lot of kenetic energy.

I'm picturing the goggles, chest protector, ear muffs, nomex gloves, and put the mattress against the window..... :D

well, in real life, I'm a musician, so the custom earplugs along with big over-the-ear "shooting" earmuffs made my wife question why I hadn't left for the lds yet...and basically I got a "what the hell are you up to????" When she followed me downstairs and I explained what I was about to do....well, let's just say she forced me to find this year's halloween costume...bomb tech.

Ha! wow...that was anticlimactic.

I won't embarrass myself further by disclosing all the precautions I took...but mouse fart pretty much described the results.

Thanks for all the help.

Off to the LDS. Can we all just pretend that none of this ever happened?

Wonderful!!! :clapping:

It's not so much a mouse fart when there is 2800psi in the cylinder. :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom