1st Stage Reg Service - LDS Ploy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought the gauge brand new, but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't accurate. I don't have a second IP gauge to verify. The only reason I bought it was to test a different 1st stage (a Sherwood Magnum) I bought off of eBay. Since I had it out, I was curious what my SR1 would read.

I tested the Magnum and it read a little low, but still within the normal range according to the manual. Later on I bought a Sherwood Brut on Ebay and it tested normal right at 135psi.

Since you've tested the IP gausge on three different 1st stages, and with the exception of the SR1 the readings were within the "expected range", that pretty much rules out the gauge as the problem, and confirms the SR1 most likely has a faulty / failing high pressure seat, or some other internal derangement.

As others have mentioned, it is "best practice" to inspect and possibly adjust (tune) the 2nd stages that will be used with the SR1 first stage.... An alternative is to adjust all of your first stages to the same IP so you can mix & match 2nd stages to your heart's content. That is what I do with my first stages (but they are all diaphragm 1sts, so it is very simple to match IP's).

I can understand why the shop would want to see the entire reg setup when overhauling the 1st stage... both from the "best practice" of inspecting and tuning the regulator as a "whole", and maybe for some liability concerns. But the shop owner should have given a clear explanation, and not used car repair analogies, which really don't apply.... If the LDS can't explain clearly and logically why they want to see the entire reg, I'd be uncomfortable having them service it.

Good luck with getting it all sorted out.

Best wishes.

Another thought: if your IP reads that high and you have no free flow problem, are you sure your gauge is accurate? Have you checked other regs and/or gauges?

Just what I was thinking. I picked up a few used gauges and they do not all read the same. I'd check against a calibrated gauge.

The gauge is not going to be so far off that it would read 170 while the reg is in the normal 135-145 range. The problem is the 1st stage. To be honest, what I would do is ebay the whole thing and get a MK10/G250, or if you want to blow money on a new reg, a MK17/G250V.

I was quite unimpressed with the SR1 that I saw. It's a little ironic, coming from Sherwood, maker of the classic no-BS rock-solid reliable flow by regs that have been stalwarts of rental fleets for decades.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom