1st time to Cozumel need help finding a dive shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hulsey57

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My wife and I are going to be in Cozumel from Nov 9-19 staying at the Palace. I would like to get a few sugestions on who to dive with in Cozumel(my wife and I just got certified but have dove the resort course multiple times). We would like to do atleast 5 two tank dives probably more. Is there a company that will bundly the gear into the price? We have mask snorkle and fins and the other saefty stuff. thanks for the help and we really look forward to relaxing in Cozumel.

Dive with Martin may offer free gear rental but check. Of course anyone can add on the price of rental gear. My preference is

aldora.com

Most dive ops have rental gear that they can package into a price for you. What kind of boat would you like to dive on Bigger slow boat? Smaller fast boat? Make sure you ask the op you contact if they will pick you up at the Palace, most will, but some that are based in the Caleta may not. My personal choice is BlueXt Sea, they use small boats and they have great DM's. Your gear is set for you on the boat cleaned and ready to go each day. I may also suggest that you hire a private DM for you and your wife for you first day of diving just for a little piece of mind.

Hi,

Give Fernando Gonzalez' Mantaraya a try. He caters to every group of divers. If you need gear, just let him know. He will meet you at the dock nearest to your hotel. Click on this link to learn more: history

His boat carries 6 divers (6-pack in the parlance) and you will get excellent attention and service.

joewr

I use Aldora Divers. They have good rental gear, set up ready to go every day, small fast boats, great DM's. They try to match skill levels among divers on the boat. I spent the month of Sept diving with them and we stopped at Palace almost every day.

Aldora Divers of Cozumel can get you all the info on pricing

My brother and myself have been diving in Cozumel for the past 5 years and we always use Aldora Divers...small fast boats and they take care of your gear. Check out their website and tell Memo I said Hi......Midway Mafia Diver Member,
Jim

We're going to be on Cozumel Dec 5th-15th. Based on the reviews we read here, plus our interactions with the staff during my research, we're diving with Aldora. Small, fast boats. Unlimited shore diving. Big tanks. What's not to like?

We're going to be on Cozumel Dec 5th-15th. Based on the reviews we read here, plus our interactions with the staff during my research, we're diving with Aldora. Small, fast boats. Unlimited shore diving. Big tanks. What's not to like?
Besides all the other problems I had with them, I think the biggest "what's not to like" is that they make the entire group ascend together after the first diver runs low and sucks down the rest of the DM's air. One air hog can easily spoil it for the bunch and you don't get a partial refund if the air hog forces an ascent before the promised hour+ of bottom time. (Yes, it is possible for a lady to suck down a 120 in 35 minutes, I saw it with my own eyes several times.) I would try Aldora again, however, if all the other dive ops on the island that also offer bigger tanks and all the other amenities were full or went out of business.

Besides all the other problems I had with them, I think the biggest "what's not to like" is that they make the entire group ascend together after the first diver runs low and sucks down the rest of the DM's air. One air hog can easily spoil it for the bunch and you don't get a partial refund if the air hog forces an ascent before the promised hour+ of bottom time. (Yes, it is possible for a lady to suck down a 120 in 35 minutes, I saw it with my own eyes several times.) I would try Aldora again, however, if all the other dive ops on the island that also offer bigger tanks and all the other amenities were full or went out of business.

Folks,

That is one of the reasons we like Mantaraya. Fernando uses the "loose buddy" system. When you need to head for the surface, up you go...and Samy is right there since he follows the bubbles...if you have good bottom times, Fernando is with you all the way...and so far, no one has been able to outlast him!:blinking:

One quick note: if you do have good bottom times, ask Fernando for Nitrox...typically, he will get 32% and 36% if you want it for both dives...32% if for only one dive...

joewr...good bottom times mean great surface intervals!

Rubbish. I've dove Aldora for 2 trips, and buddy teams go up as they run low on air. The whole group coming up together, because one diver ran low? Never happened. I've seen some teams spend an extra 10+ minutes of bottom time while the rest of the group boards the boat.
I checked my dive log from last trip, out of ten dives, only one was less than an hour; 59 minutes. The longest was 1:16. Not bad dive times.
The HP steel tanks are sweet, well balanced and easy to dive.
Blue XTC is also an excellent op.
Maybe the "ascend together" thing happened with a group of less experienced divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom