2 * CMAS = PADI rescue ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manogr

Reaction score
For about a year I do my local dives with a particular diving school / club and I am really satisfied with their services.

Since I am only a OW diver I discussed with the instructor to start training toward AOW and Rescue Diver (PADI).

He suggested to complete the CMAS second star (2*) diploma that is equivelant with both AOW and Rescue with only the cost of the one (a good reason to like the guy ! he is not into money). He told me that the 2* CMAS cover all core and elective dives of the AOW as well as Rescue material and First Aid !!!! Since I travel a lot he told me that after completing this course I can get also the PADI cards I want (rescue or both) by paying just the cost of the "PADI envelope".

Anyone knows if this is ok ? are AOW + RESCUE equivelant to the 2* of CMAS ??

Thanks

Manogr

I can probably find out tomorrow. My LDS teaches both PADI and CMAS but the guy will be out of town today.

From what I have heard it is common for people to get multiple agency cards when the course standards are equivalent.

I'm a PADI RD. In my club everybody else is CMAS and I'm consideret in line - and reconiced by the CMAS org. as a 2*. However, I've been studing to become a 3* and learned that the RD cource includes some rescue and diveorganisation not included in the 2*. By all means get both. In France for instance they realy love CMAS (French system). The only thing is, that where PADI is supposed to be the same all over the world, CMAS changes with the local conditions - for better or for worse.

Enjoy your course!

"Anyone knows if this is ok ? are AOW + RESCUE equivelant to the 2* of CMAS ??"

While I do not have the answer with regards to content I can tell you that the AOW requires you complete knowledge reviews from the "Adventures in Diving" and the "Rescue Diver" books.

In addition you are required to complete tasks in AOW and RD specific to the course. These tasks are outlined in detail and mandatory for the Instructor to see are performed.

If the Instructor has not required you to do the KRs, if you have not complete specific dives following PADI guidelines.and if you have not written the RD exam and passed then you don't qualify for the PADI ratings. These are "Blue Bold" standards in the PADI instructor manual.

One more point, what is the purpose of the training? If you want cards take both courses and qualify for both cards. If you want to move on to leadership levels then you should pick one agency and move on with that agencies programs to the leadership level.

The more the traiing the better the diving.:D

Does CMAS still have a website? When I try to go to the address I have I get some spammer... could their site have been hacked?
Rick

My initial Cert was Cmas **.
I dont remeber the PADI requirments for AOWD, but it sure is far less than SSI AOWD. More like Specialty Diver. And I recall absolutly no medical training in the course apart from some very limited lecture, that was about an hour long, and one rescue dive that did not benefit me at all. The rescue training in ** is a joke (unless your instructor does it differently) and by no means is a Cmas ** considered a rescue diver. If you want to do rescue trainng-do rescue course.

My 2 agorot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom