2 Dead in cave diving incident.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DPV Diving Propulsion Vehicle. Basically an electric motor & battery with a propeller on the front and handles on the back. A diver holds it in front of him and drives it. Much faster than swimming. In this case DPV (Dead Person Vehicle).

I was on the first deep (290') recovery team yeaterday (Sun.) We found him 1100 feet into the downstream tunnel at 250' on the cieling, no gas. Apparently they had a problem furthur back in the system (probably a scooter entanglement and siltout), got separated, and failed to make it out. They may have broken one of the prime scooter-diving rules, reserving 5/6ths of their air in reserve in case they had to do a swimming exit if a scooter failed (or you tow your buddy out using the other scooter).They may have had two scooter problems(unlikely), or panicked as they got silted out while trying to solve whatever the problem was. We did not find the other diver, despite looking as far back as the cave goes downstream(about 2600') or the two scooters, which is very odd? The cave is very large, ranges from 220 to 290 on the floor, with cieling depths from 285 to 200,and as wide as 120' in places. Viz was good,(40-80')but can rapidly deteriorate due to silt being stirred up by problems or bad technique. He could be off in a side pocket, or on the cieling and we missed him. You don't have all day that deep on open-circuit, nor is it an easy task to tow a doubles-laden body at 280 '....no picnic, done it before. All the divers on the deep, intermediate( to 250'), and support teams are voulunteer civilians...the various police agancies have no one trained or experienced enough to do this level of dive. They'll look for him today, if they find him farthur back it will be an extremely difficult extraction. My condolences to the families...we all wished we could have gotten them both out yesterday...the older man's family was there waiting all day.
All deep recovery divers used trimix 14/55(or similar) and multiple stage and deco mixes, as well as scooters. My BT, for example, was :36 min, with :140 min. of deco. Shallower divers used appropriate mixes for their depth range. The deceased divers were both using trimix, but no stage bottles were found yet.
Each volunteer spent from $50 to $500 of their own money to assist in the recovery, and will continue to do it until we get the second diver out.
Any furthur questions, please address me privately..there's enough rumor and bad info. going around already.
Safe diving,

Phreaticus.

I found this at another forum and to make it easier moved it hear.
Fred

JC Fedorczyk:
ok FNG question....What's a DPV?

Diver Propulsion Vehicle - a scooter.

This seems to be one extraordinary dive profile, 200' + on DPV's. Far above and beyond the normal weekend cave diving trip.

All credit to phreaticus and the recovery team.

Quite impressive. Not an easy task. I applaud their efforts, and wish them a safe return.

My condolences to the families of the deceased. It must be just awful for the family of the diver that hasn't been found. Closure is incredibly important...

fgray1:
I was on the first deep (290') recovery team yeaterday (Sun.) We found him 1100 feet into the downstream tunnel at 250' on the cieling, no gas. Apparently they had a problem furthur back in the system (probably a scooter entanglement and siltout), got separated, and failed to make it out. They may have broken one of the prime scooter-diving rules, reserving 5/6ths of their air in reserve in case they had to do a swimming exit if a scooter failed (or you tow your buddy out using the other scooter).They may have had two scooter problems(unlikely), or panicked as they got silted out while trying to solve whatever the problem was. We did not find the other diver, despite looking as far back as the cave goes downstream(about 2600') or the two scooters, which is very odd? The cave is very large, ranges from 220 to 290 on the floor, with cieling depths from 285 to 200,and as wide as 120' in places. Viz was good,(40-80')but can rapidly deteriorate due to silt being stirred up by problems or bad technique. He could be off in a side pocket, or on the cieling and we missed him. You don't have all day that deep on open-circuit, nor is it an easy task to tow a doubles-laden body at 280 '....no picnic, done it before. All the divers on the deep, intermediate( to 250'), and support teams are voulunteer civilians...the various police agancies have no one trained or experienced enough to do this level of dive. They'll look for him today, if they find him farthur back it will be an extremely difficult extraction. My condolences to the families...we all wished we could have gotten them both out yesterday...the older man's family was there waiting all day.
All deep recovery divers used trimix 14/55(or similar) and multiple stage and deco mixes, as well as scooters. My BT, for example, was :36 min, with :140 min. of deco. Shallower divers used appropriate mixes for their depth range. The deceased divers were both using trimix, but no stage bottles were found yet.
Each volunteer spent from $50 to $500 of their own money to assist in the recovery, and will continue to do it until we get the second diver out.
Any furthur questions, please address me privately..there's enough rumor and bad info. going around already.
Safe diving,

Phreaticus.

I found this at another forum and to make it easier moved it hear.
Fred

Even the best planned dive by the apropriately trained divers still has the element of risk of this kind of outcome.

My condolences for all those who knew John and Craig.

I personally know one of the divers. Craig.... I play it out in my head over and over what happened he has dove the nest hundreds of times he is always there. he used to stop by the shop to get tanks filled i am no longer there very nice guy always smiling and the first to help out when planning.... no telling maybe they will find him.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom